Wattpad Original

Ch. 38: A Heartfelt Plea

I drove the truck behind Daniel as he jogged ahead and swung the tree in front of him like a broom to sweep zombies out of our path. When we finally reached the ramp to the main highway, Daniel tossed the tree aside. I stopped the truck and reclaimed my spot in the back as Daniel began driving.

"I have to admit I've never seen a tree used like that before," I commented as we left the rather battered-looking tree behind. It had been bizarre but effective. It would have been more satisfying if Daniel had at least been out of breath.

"I didn't feel like spending hours trying to get out of the city," he replied.

That made two of us. I settled back to watch the scenery, pretending I didn't notice how Trent tensed up with his unfocused eyes rapidly blinking. The blackouts were starting, and he knew he had a long three days ahead of him.

~

I exited the small farm house. "So, what do you think?"

Trent shrugged. "As long as my presence doesn't bother those in the Stronghold, I have no problem staying here."

"It's far enough away that I don't think you'll be able to smell them even if the wind shifted," I said. "I'll swing by after sunset to see if you need anything. Just leave the door open or remain outside. Otherwise, I'll assume you're sleeping and keep going."

He sent an uncertain glance at the two jackrabbits in the wooden cages I'd built from some wood planks. A cup and knife sat on top of the cages.

"I think I'll be fine..."

Our discussion on the way here had hammered home the fact that sane zombies needed animal blood to retain their sanity, and a detour past the bloodstained bandit camp had convinced him that he didn't want to try entering the Stronghold for a while.

The Runner disappeared inside the farmhouse, and Daniel and I continued to the Stronghold. The smell of cooking food greeted us as the guards opened the gates. As I began gathering duffel bags, Daniel came to help.

A passerby opened the door for Daniel and me, which made it possible to carry the delicate lab equipment in one trip. The duffel bags almost touched both walls as we carried them down the empty hallway.

Right as I was about to enter the lab, I paused and eyed up the strand of fishing line strung at ankle height. "Nicky, I have fragile equipment. Disarm whatever this is."

"Daniel was supposed to enter first!" Feet scampered across the floor, followed by a twang and a yellow rubber ducky falling down from above the door frame.

The fishing line went slack, so I figured it was safe to pass through the doorway. I set the duffel bags on the floor against the wall as Nina came over.

"What's all this?" she asked as her eyes shone in excitement.

"A bunch of lab equipment, including a centrifuge."

The scientist was already peeking inside the duffel bags to see what we'd brought. "You found a new one?"

"Two, actually, although it took a bit of effort and some creativity to get it," I replied as Daniel also set some duffel bags down.

Nicky skipped over with the yellow ducky clutched in her hands. "Oh! Oh! Let me guess! It involved silly string and a twister board, right?!"

I gave her a long look. "No, it involved breaking into a university, far too many bricks, a sign post, a hitchhiking Runner, and a tree flyswatter."

She paused and blinked at me. "Your story sounds better than mine, and I don't think that's allowed."

"And what's your story?"