IX

SASUKE launched a line of shuriken at Zabuza but they were easily deflected by a flick of his own large, butcher knife-looking sword. Sasuke took a large leap into the air, kunai knife held between two hands that were ready to impale the knife into the rouge nin. Zabuza's huge hand reached up into the air, and soon, within his hold was Sasuke's neck. 

"Sasuke-kun!" Sakura shouted.

Riki's eyes flitted over at Sasuke's body that had been thrown to the floor, and soon her eyes flew over toward the person who was the closest to Zabuza. Her eyes took hold of the familiar blond hair and orange jumpsuit she had been accustomed to seeing in the week and a half she had been on Team Seven.

Naruto rose up off the floor, shaking as he stood up. The blond gave out a battle cry and he bolted straight for Zabuza, shocking his teammates.

"You fool! S-Stop it!" Kakashi stuttered out in distress. Worry also shot across Sakura's features, and in turn she shouted at Naruto.

"Oh, Naruto! What're you doing!" Her hands reched out to her hair and she pulled on it, her green eyes harbouring hints of anger and concern. "We can't beat him, he's far too powerful!"

Zabuza kicked Naruto several meters back, further back from where he had started his sprint. He tumbled and rolled on the dirt, coming to a stop near the feet of a startled, anxious Sakura.

"Naruto!" Much of her worry quickly turned into small burts of anger, "Don't charge out their alone . . . What the heck were you thinking?! You shouldn't—"

Sakura paused, her eyes taking in Naruto's form. He stood up slowly, his headband in his left hand. Even Sasuke, the cold, annoying Sasuke, as Riki had dubbed him so, had his own charcoal eyes widened a fraction, his eyebrows lightly furrowed. 

"Hey, you with no eyebrows. Record in your Bingo book . . . about the man who will become the Hokage of the Leaf Village!"

He brought the headband into both his hands, putting the front of it to his forehead, tying it in a knot at the back of his head.

"Leaf-style ninja . . . Naruto Uzumaki!"

A quiet moment of suspense fell upon the people who inhabited the clearing. Both Zabuza's clone and his true form glared at Naruto with immense hatred. Contrary to the negativity being spilled by the enemy, Team Seven, with the addition of Tazuna, stares at Naruto in surprise. Sasuke with slight envy, Tazuna with a hint of admiration, Riki with sadness and Sakura with worry.

"Oi, Sasuke! Lend me your ear!" Now, eyes were fully focused on Naruto, all filled with confusion. Zabuza's hateful stare stayed present, however.

"What is it?" Sasuke finally replied, his eyes now rid of the envy they once held.

"I have a plan," Naruto stated confidently.

"Hmph. You're talking about teamwork?" Naruto ignored his query, instead bringing his hand up to wipe the trail of blood that leaked from his mouth.

Sasuke moved toward Naruto slowly, wary of Zabuza's animosity. Riki nudged Sakura by the shoulder, catching her attention.

"Let's protect Tazuna," she muttered quietly, almost so Sakura barely picked up on her words. Sakura nodded, and soon they had positioned themselves on either side of Tazuna; Sakura to his left, and Riki on his right. They both held a kunai in hand.

"Hey, Riki . . . " Sakura spoke up, splitting the tense atmosphere in half. Sakura stared at the two boys who whispered amongst each other, and then at the looming figure of Zabuza. "Was Naruto always like . . . that?"