Chapter 2

Looking up at me was a ten year old girl with high brown pigtails and a stuffed pterodactyl in her arms. I looked for her name and found it instantly.
    Arabella Dunham, a ten year old little girl, often called Ara or Belly. I sucked in a small breath. She wasn't much younger than me. A year or two, but not that much.
     "When you are ready, please stand up and exit the room. A guide will be standing out there for each individual and will show you to the room you'll be working on. I advise finishing looking over your files in around 10 minutes," Big man said, standing rigidly at the front with his hands intertwined together in front of him.
     I glanced up while he was talking and looked back down when he was done. Arabella, just a young girl. She doesn't deserve her imagination ruined by brain Cleaners. By me, I realized. I gulped, closing the file and standing up.
     I walked quietly out the door in the front and outside were about 30 different guides waiting for people.
     "Grace McLean?" One guide asked. I nodded, going to stand beside her. I didn't trust a single word that would come out of my mouth. My mouth was dry, I realized, licking my lips quickly.
     "I'm your guide, Joanna Claust. I'll be serving you from your first until I die. It is an honor. Please, follow me," she bowed a little, making me question my life. She floated down the hallway and I followed, not so gracefully.
     Every guide who was talking stopped and looked for a second before going back to their conversations. I glanced around nervously. I have never had so many people pay attention to me. This was so weird.
     I shook my wrist, and then my other one, slowly shaking off the nerves. A thing my mother taught me. She was a great teacher.
     "Shake your left wrist," she had said. I do what she tells me, and this was no different. I shook my left wrist as tears streamed down my face. "Now your right." I did it. "And again." I realized the tears had stopped and my breath started slowly growing even again.
     I stopped as Joanna stopped, just before the door opened. Through the door stretched a long hallway, that I couldn't see the end of. I glanced at the sides nervously.
     Joanna started walking, not looking back as she trusted me to follow. I did. I looked at my feet most of the way and then looked up to see a glass doorway. A guide sat in a chair beside a hospital looking bed.
     In that hospital looking bed laid a young woman, no older than 18. I knew her. I stopped, staring closely. That was Layla, my friend that got chosen to be a brain cleaner last year.
     Wires spread about behind the bed, hooking up to her chest, arms, and head. I gulped and looked back to Joanna who had stopped and looked at me with a door open. I walked silently to her, looked around and ran down the hallway.
-------------------------
Authors note: Sorry not sorry about making short chapters. I shall leave you on a cliffhanger😉. Also, I've been in DC and haven't had time to write. I'll have more time in a little bit. Make sure to vote so I know if you like this story. Or don't. Just leave a comment to tell me your feedback. Or don't, I don't really care.