Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

37

Not much goes through my mind as we plunge beneath the surface.

It's so cold that it burns, compressing on my chest as I hold my breath. I open my eyes, the blurry, murky water offering no aid. Light stretches through the murkiness, indicating the direction of the sky.

Killian's hand, still wrapped around mine, tugs at my arm. I turn my head to the left, seeing his blurry figure swimming away from me. Kicking my legs, I swallow my nerves as we swim towards where the water bubbles at the surface--the waterfall.

My lungs burn as I power my legs, using my free arm to push through the water, brushing against slimy weed and moss. The waterfall echoes, even underwater. Its power hammers into my back as we swim beneath the stream of water, the lagoon carrying on into the darkness. It's only once we've cleared the water that Killian tugs my arm up towards the surface.

I gasp for air, dropping his hand to use my other arm to help me tread water. My heartbeat hammers against my chest as I kick my feet, eyes still blurry from the water. Blinking to clear them, my surroundings become more visible. Killian was right. There is a cave behind the waterfall. The water barely stretches for another couple of metres before it gives way to rocks. Casimir stands are the shoreline, sopping wet. Juem and Lei stand just behind him, Lei's gripping her arm, face pale.

I swim towards the rocks, feet finding the ground. My coat drags me down as I emerge from the water, trembling. Casimir puts an arm over my shoulders, but his body is just as cold as mine. Killian climbs out behind me, flicking his hair off his face.

Over the gushing of the waterfall, the howls echo through the cave. It's hard to tell which direction they're coming from.

"W-what now?" I ask, teeth chattering.

Killian surveys the area, noting Juem tending to Lei's arm, and then looking at the way the cave curves around the corner. "We'll have to wait it out."

"We don't have time," Lei says, wincing.

Killian sets his jaw. "We don't have a choice." Nobody argues, the close howls the nail to his statement. "We should go further into the cave, away from the waterfall. Casimir, can you make a fire?" Casimir nods. Killian glances at me. "Good. We'll need to dry our clothes as best as we can. It will only get colder as we head into the mountains."

"I'll stay on watch," Lei says.

"You will rest," Killian orders. "You're injured, Lei. Juem--"

"I'll deal with her," he nods.

Lei huffs unhappily, but allows him to help her to her feet as they head deeper into the cave. Killian glances at me, summoning a rush of warmth to my cheeks. "I'll help Casimir," I say, "with the fire."

He doesn't object. I turn, moving to where Casimir is collecting pieces of driftwood by the shore and gathering small pieces into my arms. Killian moves towards the water, disappearing around the corner of the waterfall.

Casimir nudges me with a log. "You okay."

I nod, turning to head deeper into the cave, eyes blurry. "I shouldn't have shot that shifter. It attracted so many more of them."

"Hey." He grabs my arm. "Don't tell me you're blaming yourself."

"You heard Lei. We don't have time to wait around. We could miss the boat and all this could be for nothing."

"You did the right thing, Frey. If anyone tries to tell you differently you just remind them that if you hadn't fired that gun, there wouldn't be five of us left anyway." His eyes blaze, grip tightening on my arm. "You saved her life. I would hope to think they would've done the same for us. Alright?"

icon lock

Show your support for Grace, and continue reading this story

by Grace
@cloudedwithstories
After a year of searching for Samu, Freya's reunion with her alive bu...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 8 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @cloudedwithstories.