Nine

The Muggle world would never understand the extremities of being a wizard, of having power, or of the Battle that changed everything.

Draco briefly recalled how close he'd been to killing his own father that day, when he was dubbed the boy with no choice.

The news of Hermione's unexpected pregnancy and Severus' sudden death shook the young boy to the core, and it made him reconsider murdering his father in cold blood.

But knowing that Lucius had hurt him as a child and disowned his own grandchild, made Draco angry. Sure, Draco knew that his father wasn't very loving, and quite frankly, he was stubborn and unkept. But doing what he did to his own son and grandson set the bar of anger even higher.

It was then, after his mother died, that he'd pulled Hermione aside one evening while Dilly watched the young master, and told her of his plans.

Hermione, while rather shocked but not surprised as her husband was once a Death Eater, had listened intently as she, too, thought of ways to quietly rid the world of Lucius Malfoy without getting sent to Azkaban.

~~~

He was missing his mother more so than ever now as the funeral procession began and every Witch and Wizard raised their wands in reverence towards the great Witch.

Hermione hung close to his frame, arm wrapped around his own, their son in the arms of Dilly; they'd changed tradition by allowing Dilly to attend the funeral of her old missus; she was Draco and Hermione's responsibility now, as far as Hermione could tell. She was still getting accustomed to having a maid, a dresser, a friend.

A week passed and the Manor was quiet. Breakfast was served by Dilly and neither Draco nor Hermione made any effort to talk. Scorpius played quietly on the floor with some of his dad's old toys.

Draco never left the office. After his father left, Draco sought to get things in order, namely bank notes, what-nots like money his parents owed debtors, and finally the will.

The will that he didn't want to open; the passing of his mother was still fresh and he didn't want to incite any emotions that may upsurge his reputation as a Death Eater, a father, and a husband.

~~~

"You must eat something, sir," Dilly remarked on Sunday morning, a few months after his mother's death, as Draco worked tirelessly at his father's desk in the office.

Draco dismissed her with a wave and she sighed, feeling useless, when Hermione called her over.

"Would you like to go shopping, Dilly?" Hermione asked with a smile.

Scorpius was on her lap wearing blue suspenders and a white tee with a matching blue cap and white shoes; he looked at Dilly with a goofy smile on his face and Dilly couldn't help but blush; she wasn't used to the children looking at her, because when Draco was young, Dilly was forbade to be around him.

Narcissa wanted Draco to be a good little boy, and that meant studying with his father and playing chess with his mother; house-elves were off limits for being friends.

"I'd like that very much, Ma'am," Dilly replied, surprised that she'd agreed to leave the Manor; she'd never left before. She lived in the kitchen corridors and the only excitement she ever got was when Narcissa would order in a cake from a local bakery and she'd be allowed a slice.

"Good. Then it's settled. I'm to get you some new clothes. That old dusty dress you're wearing really could use an upgrade!" Hermione smiled and tottled off to the front lawn with Scorpius in his pram and Dilly following close behind.

Draco didn't notice he was left alone. He was asleep at the desk.

~~~

GINNY'S POV

Ent. The Weasley House

"Mum!" Ginny called from upstairs in her bedroom.

Crookshanks let out a sleepy meow as he curled on her pillow, purring softly at Ginny. She gave him a smile before going back to her newfound obsession.

"Coming!" A cheery voice echoed throughout the house as Molly came up the stairs, her soft footfalls getting softer with every step she took.

Ginny was on the floor of her bedroom looking at old Daily Prophet articles when Molly put a loving hand on her only daughter's shoulder.

"Was it you calling me?" Molly teased. Ginny laughed and her eyes lit up as she faced her mother and spoke with delight.

"I've found something interesting! Harry was living with Sirius before going to the Dursley's! Look, after his parents were killed by you-know-who, Sirius took him on for a few months per James and Lily's request should anything happen to them. It says that Sirius was going to adopt him when Dumbledore stopped him and ordered Hagrid to take him to the Muggle world! How wickedly wild is that?!" Ginny, pleased with the new-found information on her husband, smiled brightly as Molly laughed.

"I knew, and so did your father. But we were sworn to secrecy because if it'd been discovered that Sirius Black had taken on his godson, he would've ended up exactly like James and Lily. Now, dear, if you're done with your fascination on old news, go get ready to go to dinner with Lavender's Dad and Step-mum. She's asked you to wear something fancy as it's a sit-down. Now go," Molly said.

Ginny huffed and went as told to her closet. Why would her mother shush her up so fast when this was about her son-in-law, who she absolutely adored?

~~~

"Draco, we're home!" Hermione called a few hours later as she entered into the house with Scorpius on her hip and Dilly beside her with several shopping bags in tow.

"I'm up here!" He called back, the sound of a hammer falling making Hermione snap her head up.

"Dilly, please go to your corridors and put away your new clothes, then take Scorpius to the courtyard for some sun. I'll call you for dinner in an hour," she directed and Dilly nodded, looking at her with shining eyes.

"Dilly eat dinner with Master, Missus, and Young Master? Narcissa made me and Dobby, may my big brother rest in peace, eat the leftovers in our corridors out of sight, Ma'am."

Hermione smiled kindly as she crouched down in front of the house-elf.

"Things will be different from now on, Dilly. I know that Dobby was a prisoner of the Manor until Harry freed him, but you aren't. You can go back and forth as you please. You can wear your shiny new clothes and watch over Scorpius. You can eat dinner with us. After all, you're our family too."

Dilly gasped, tears filling her eyes as she stumbled over her response. Hermione didn't try to wait for a response, instead she kissed Dilly's cheek and went upstairs to see what her husband was doing.

~~~

•••••