1. Incipient

The abendrote of the firmament mirroring the red of the Yadava carnage to the red of the rose he once cherished in his human manifestation, and now to the red of the vicious flames that reduced a mighty jungle to ashes, had the preserver wince at the memories. Kanha drew in a deep breath to steady himself for the arrival of his Shriyas as his hazel eyes brimmed with anticipation, his lotus feet tapping into the verdant grass and his robust arms folded over his mighty chest.

Far into the distance, the thousand petalled water lilies painted in hues of fuchsia, hot pink and red glazed and floated under the globe of flames. The goddess Kalindi, who technically wasn't supposed to be here yet but was in the form of the river alone gushed and foamed in exuberance, washing by the feet of Keshava who smiled a moonstruck smile at her, fondling his beloved flute. The avifauna of the abode of the Shriyas now sang a serene tune in their praise, as the flora and cattles danced along. To the devotees who had found residence in the feet of LakshmiPati and in this pulchritudinous dwelling, hours seemed to stretch into eternity but still the air of Shreepeetha was the same as before. In an eldritch quietude, something they weren't accustomed to and neither the one they fancied to the slightest bit.

"Prabhu, you seem urhm- quite impatient I see," smirked the Brahmaputra beside him, then flashing his signature grin when he was gifted with a quasi glare. "Narayana, Narayana! I- I meant my lord, my Matas are on the way. And I suggest, you find a nook as soon as you can, for they aren't exactly pleased with the last leela you pulled."

Kanha indifferently shrugged for the first time, but then it crashed. His bimba-hued lips pulled in a perpetual smile now loured deep as he assimilated the gravity of the Devarshi's statement. Surely, this was going to be a strenuous task.

Elsewhere, somewhere along Yamuna's banks, there was a bright flash of light akin to a star forming, and when the light faded, it revealed Vaidarbhi Rukmini, her eyes closed momentarily, a small smile curling her lips upwards, until her eyes flew open and a gasp passed her lips. She stood still for a moment, swaying slightly until the flames crackling in the corner of her eyes slowly receded and she remembered where she was.

Within seconds, Jambavati too appeared a few feet away from her, and she made a soft sound in her throat that sounded similar to the low growl of a bear. Then Mitravinda was there in a flash, and Jambavati and Rukmini together caught her as the princess of Avanti stumbled.

Mitravinda passed a soft smile to her two elder sisters as she stood.

There was still silence in the area, the susurrus of Yamuna's waters the only sound by which the wives of Krishna steadied themselves and let the memories of their death slowly recede.

"Where—where are the others, Jiji?" Mitravinda's voice was hoarse.

Jambavati tightened her hold on Mitravinda's shoulder as Rukmini did not say a word.

"They should be here soon, Mitra. None of us could bear the pain for long, they will come soon."

Some time passed, and to their right, the waters rose to form a vaguely humanoid shape until Kalindi appeared, something shining in her eyes. She bent down to touch her waters and let her hand rest against the rushing waters, grounding herself even as the others appeared in various intervals.

After all the principal wives joined, an awkward hush came over them. Yamuna had a questioning look thrown her way by Satyabhama, who in that moment seemed more grounded than the others. She promptly nodded, clearing her throat just to gain the attention of the Lakshmis who were soused in despondency and the action bore the desired results.

"Hey." A muted coarse voice greeted them soon as from among the roaring tides of the stream, a familiar figure emerged out. For once it seemed as if the flames had materialized, and then the oceanic depths came into view, having them all finally sigh in relief. The visions cleared up soon, revealing the goddess in charge of the cosmic order who gingerly sauntered towards them, rubbing her eyes brusquely.