Chapter 24

"Are you ready, Godfree?" Nox's eyes were alight in the attic. He sat across a chalk drawn circle from Hemlock, who fidgeted nervously. They were surrounded by dozens of candles, all of them flickered in the darkness. The smell of burnt salt, cypress resin, sulfur, and mugwort filled his nose. Nox passed Hemlock the pomegranate; he took it hesitantly but clasped it tightly in his grip. The two of them had taken one berry of the Belladonna plant and had eaten it together; while usually extremely poisonous, Nox had assured Hemlock that this was to pay homage to Hekate and would ensure their passage. Small doses will put you in a trance, and when used in ritual, Her torches will guide us to the Under, and She will keep our souls safe.

"Let's just get this over with." Hemlock said and glanced out of the attic windows towards the moon. Besides the candlelight, the moon was the only source of light in the room. Nox could sense Hemlock's fear, his confidence, and his undying love all balled into one. Hmm. Love. It was so overwhelming and he wondered whom the love was for. Nox wanted to reach out and comfort him, he wanted to touch him so badly; but Nox knew the outcome would only lead to heartache, and there was no time for feelings. The veils would only be opened for a couple more hours. Hemlock looked at Nox and nodded curtly, his blue eyes dancing in the night.

Nox closed his eyes and opened his hands towards the center of the circle. Concentrating, Nox focused his strength on his surroundings, drawing power from Nature, the spirits of the land, and from Hemlock. He could feel that Loretta was standing behind Hemlock, her hands around his shoulders in an endearing embrace. So, she is on board... Nox smiled to himself. While he envied them, he remembered that their love was so small, so miniscule compared to what was going to come. He knew Hemlock would do anything to help her, but would he be able to help himself in the end? Nox could also sense the reeking imposter of Death in the room; an ongoing storm cloud that hovered above Hemlock like a halo of doom. Nox grimaced at this and hoped Hemlock was strong enough to face what was coming. Nox had a suspicion growing inside him, and the more he exposed himself to whatever was following Hemlock, the more he saw who this Death really was. Hopefully it all goes to plan. Nox began his chant, and he knew that Hemlock would subconsciously be contributing in his descent to the Underworld... it was in his Nature, his Gift from the Endless.

Essence of light, darkness of beings.

Life and death are passing the world to us.

Please, Keepers of the Deep, Mothers of Eternal Rest, Chthonic Wanderers Below...

Allow us to come in, help us, we conjure you!

Nox opened his eyes and saw that they were in a circle of cool blue flames. The pomegranate that had been in Hemlock's hands was gone, having been given to the Watchers of the Underworld for safe passage. Hemlock had slumped forward, and Nox was confident that his soul was now making its journey to the world of the dead. Closing his eyelids, he joined him.

<*>