[ GN!Reader ] ➜ Around The Lake

︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶

                            - A walk around the lake best spent in the company of your boyfriend

                              ▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
                                    ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊
                                    ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩
                                    ┊ ┊ ┊ ✫
                                    ┊ ┊ ︎✧
                                    ┊ ┊ ✯
                                    ┊ . ˚ ˚✩

                                            The sun beamed down upon the world, warming the back of your neck in an uncomfortable degree. A cold breeze rustled against your exposed skin, cooling your limbs, neck, and face. Meanwhile, a swordsman named Yanqing pinned his hair up into a high-ponytail. He slid his appendages down his long, stray strips of hair after finishing the ponytail. He then approached your side, offering you his hand. You slid your hand into his, appendages locking between one another. In unison, you and Yanqing began wandering onto the pathway leading around the lake. You couldn't fight a giant smile from crossing your features, the breeze tossing your hair backwards and soothing your overheated skin. Yanqing's own expression uplifted as the wind cinematically played with his ponytail, his middle-part dipping to and fro in an elegant manner. Blossoms of spring danced to the emerald grass covering the ground. Within the lake, there seemed to be something. You forced yourself to stop, peering down at the water that was clear as polished crystal.

The neutral-blond-swordsman approached your side, gazing down into the dark green vegetation that framed the water. It was eggs! Based on the fact that flies had gathered upon the shell, you guessed they already hatched. Squinting against the sunlight, your gaze shifted. Something rippled the water in an unnatural way—

A fluffy, yellow-brown creature paddled out from hidden amidst the vegetation. Its beak of black shone beneath the sunbeams of early afternoon. The duckling seemed intrigued by the sight of two humans, so much so that it swam towards the shore. Yanqing crouched to the ground, his hues of muted gold staring intently at the duckling as it approached him. It waddled ashore, webbed feet clumsily swinging as it hobbled. It halted before Yanqing, closing the tip of its beak around the red bracelet over his ankle. "Ah, no," he created a small breeze with his hand to deter the duckling. "You can't eat that, cutie."
The duckling lifted its head, following Yanqing's hand instead. As it stood up on its legs, wings flapping, it happened to lose balance. It smacked into the ground on its back, legs kicking at the air. Once it righted itself, it scurried back to the water. Emerging from behind the grass, there was its mother. Her feathers were of dusty brown, adorned in flecks of darker brown. She lowered her head to her offspring, nudging it aside. Afterwards, she seemed to be death-glaring at both you and Yanqing.

Yanqing softly giggled as he rose to his feet, scratching his arms above his head. He then waved to the family. "That was adorable." He commented.
You ran forth to join at his side, "Yeah. Good to know I'm not the only one who wants to eat your anklet." Your joke summoned roars of laughter from Yanqing.
Whilst the two laughed, a thick tree neared. This tree dipped forth, its branches threatening to sink beneath the surface of the lake. Without hesitation, Yanqing guided you towards the tree. He placed one foot along the bark, hoisting himself upon it. Balancing perfectly, he seated himself near the smaller stems of branches. His legs dangled near the surface of the water, a giant grin on his features. Although you teetered uncontrollably, you joined at his side as fast as possible. Your legs dangled beside his, a smile on your face as well.
"Look, the ducks are here!" Said Yanqing as the duckling found its way back to him. His happy laughter filled your chest with fuzzy butterflies that fluttered their sapphire wings about to taunt you.
Chuckling now, you nodded as you observed the duckling. "I think it likes you!"

He huffed audibly, "I wish I could take you back to Dad." He confessed.
You began laughing, "The General would probably love it. As for Blade— nope, I don't want to think about it." You couldn't imagine Blade's reaction to a duckling. Would it be morbid or adorable? You shuttered, forcing yourself to stop pondering.
Yanqing couldn't help laughing with you, a smile broadly glittering upon his features. "You misunderstand Dad. He's not a bad guy, trust me."

I'm gonna assume he's talking about Blade.

You thought to yourself, afterwards tilting your head to the right. "He literally told you to kill your family."
"Ehhhh," Yanqing trailed off awkwardly, his expression turning into the apprehensive emoji rather quickly. "Look—"
"Nothing to defend him with," you elbowed the blond, snickering. "Your father should be ashamed, he's having an affair with a goddamn criminal."
Yanqing gasped dramatically, "Criminal—?!" Sarcastically, he should have been a theatre kid with his acting.
You began laughing hysterically, holding your sides as you did so. Yanqing joined you, which in turn scared off the ducks nearby. He began leaning on your shoulder. The laughter between you and he was so intense, it's hard not to smile whenever you think back on it.

Speaking of thinking back, you and Yanqing enjoyed rushing across the pathway adorned in fallen blossoms, hand-in-hand as swans danced atop the surface of the water. A swift breeze rustled the vegetation in the area as both you and Yanqing rushed back to the start of the path. Along the way, you both climbed a structure that hosted a variety of flower planters. Each flower was in full bloom, its petals on full display in the sunbeams and humid weather. The water below flowed in a miniature waterfall of beauty, small rainbows appearing within the lost mist. Yanqing's face was filled with bliss as he collected the water in his hands, his cheeks flushing pink with excitement. After some playful splashing, you and he decided to go back to the palace to report to General Jing Yuan— that you had successfully failed the mission by getting distracted. Thankfully, it was just for checking on the flowers closely. You couldn't imagine what Jing Yuan would do if his precious flowers wilted.