24. Feeling of Unease

|EMMA|

For the following hours, I remained glued to my laptop screen, scouring the internet for information about Sensua Island. Regret gnawed at me for not having researched it earlier. It was unlike me not to have done so, but the recent events have left my emotions in shambles. Ever since the intense confrontation between Ryker and Carlos that took place in my apartment, I had been unable to focus on anything else. The memory of their angry faces and the tense atmosphere still lingered in my mind, causing my thoughts to swirl in a jumbled mess.

Initially, my search yielded nothing remarkable or noteworthy. The usual suspects of tropical paradise search results filled my screen: crystal clear beaches, lush forests, and updates on the latest developments, including news of a holiday project that had been in the works for several years. The articles were all raving about how Sensua Island was poised to become the next must-visit destination for tourists.

But then, I came across something that caught my attention: a photo of Carlos. In one, he was aboard a cruise ship, looking relaxed and carefree. In another, he was engaged in a deep conversation with a group of locals. He wore a light sky-blue cotton shirt and black sunglasses to shield himself from the sweltering sun.

There were pictures of children, no more than seven or eight years old, hiding behind the trees. They were dressed in the same jute skirts and beaded necklaces that the woman from earlier had been wearing.

Despite my best efforts, my search for information on Sensua Island proved frustratingly unproductive. I clicked on countless links, each leading me to the same circle of generic information about the island. My frustration grew with each passing moment, and I let out a deep sigh as I closed my laptop, feeling as though I had wasted precious hours on a fruitless endeavor.

I didn't know why I was being so paranoid. It was probably nothing. But that local woman on the beach left a lingering mark on me. There was something about her that I just couldn't shake off—something that sent shivers down my spine.

Her features were exotic, her skin a rich bronze that shimmered in the sunlight. Her clothing was unlike anything I had seen before, adorned with colorful beads and intricate patterns that seemed to hold a deeper significance. Her gaze had been piercing, as if she could see right through me. Even now, as I replayed the encounter in my head, I could feel the goosebumps rising on my arms.

I was lost in my own thoughts when a sharp knock on the door jolted me back to reality. With a quick glance around the room, I saw that it was Carlos standing in the doorway.

A small smile tugged at my lips as I greeted him, grateful for the interruption. I shifted in bed and swung my legs around to the floor, feeling the soft carpet beneath my toes.

But something was different about Carlos. He seemed hesitant, his hands buried deep in his pockets, and he made no attempt to step into the room. "I sent someone to call you for lunch, but they said you weren't answering the door. Is everything alright with you?"

"Everything's fine," I replied, trying to sound as reassuring as possible. "I was just caught up with something on my laptop."

Carlos nodded, but his eyes flickered over to the closed laptop sitting on the desk, as if he didn't quite believe me. "Alright then. Well, lunch is being served in the main dining area. I thought you might want to join me."

I brushed some curls out of my face and smiled up at him, if only to ease his concern. "Sure, I'll be there in a minute."

As we sat down, I noticed that the table was already set with plates of colorful fruits, salads, and various dishes. The smells of spices and exotic herbs wafted up to my nose, making my mouth water.