Of Blood and Tears

Inner Forest

"The dawn is almost over, Your Highness", Raziela said while riding the horse. She's a few meters behind the Prince. "You didn't sleep last night. Are you going to be alright?", Edel asked without looking back. "It was also a chance for me to catch up with Ciaran", the lady waved her hand. "We can just take it easy from here", he said out of concern. 

"Been a while since the last time we went here, I am surprised that these flowers are still on the same spot", Edel noticed small blue flowers on the side of the road. "It is pleasing, Your Highness, to find things remaining the same after all these years", she joined with Edel's fascination with the nostalgia of being there when he was a lad. He was brought into royal hunting grounds when he was young and to social gatherings to know the ways of nobility.

"Most of the children from the prominent houses will join the royal hunt but I haven't seen you around. What have you been doing as a child?", Edel slowed down his pacing to wait for the lady to get closer.

I had been training with Master Cayden and collecting herbs as my cover-up. I learned medicine to avoid suspicion from my father. 

"I had been learning from my tutor. I was a weak child so I wouldn't say I liked going out. Most of the time, I would gather herbs from the nearby forest next to our house. How about His Highness?", Raziela answered. 

"When I was young, my mother would shield me to spare me from military duties so I had to take secret sword training with your father. He was generous enough to teach me when my mother was asleep at dawn. My father would occasionally invite me for bow and arrow training but receives a lot of scolding from my mother, the Empress", Edel gave a short laugh.

We're quite similar. 

"The Empress truly cares for you, Your Highness. I do think that people show their love in different ways ", Raziela commented. "I have been jealous of your brother since he rose to his rank. Father would always commend him in my presence. He would be proudly telling the lords from other kingdoms how someone as young as he could take over a kingdom. Do you know what else would he say during the royal supper?", Edel halted the horse to stop and Raziel did the same. "He wouldn't hesitate to give him the North if he wishes to", Edel said then turned to look at Raziela's expression. "Would you have wanted to be the one who was there during the raid?", the knight looked at him. They couldn't see each other that well because of the darkness.

"I felt ashamed of myself. I should be the one who was supposed to be in his position. Because of too many excuses from my mother, I was exempted to do military duties. So much of being the only son in the royal family. I felt a little relieved when the Order was disbanded and yet, until now, I have to be protected by him. I guess I feel a little better that it's not him but still feel puzzled by your presence", Edel gave a long sigh. "If he perishes in that battle, I will forever blame myself. That's because I would be the reason why someone you love so dearly will be taken away from you. I don't want you to be disappointed with the fact that he perished because I have to stay alive", Edel remained facing her direction. The sun went up and the prince could see a flustered expression from Raziela. She remembered a conversation she had with her brother back in the carriage. 

Just imagine that arrogant blonde brat clapping over the fact that his savior is a woman.

His Highness isn't arrogant at all.

Before Raziela could even give a response, she felt intent around and drew his sword to slice an arrow into half. "Stay close to me, Your Highness", Raziela tried to assess the situation and could feel that they were surrounded. "Around fourteen", she said under her breath. "Is it time to hunt humans instead?", Edel, even being confused about what happened, drew his sword as well. "They're using bow and arrow, Your Highness. At the tip is a poison. They are not willing to make close contact", Raziela informed. She heard the group of assassins drawing the bow at the same time. She grabbed on Edel and they both ducked under the horse. She grabbed Edel to get under her. "The sound of the horse's cry will reach Sir Traun. Until he comes, please stay as low as possible", Raziel got off him and ran towards the nearest assassin.