Chapter 44 ~ Baking Together🔞

Starr's POV

The sound of pans banging together was what woke me up. I rubbed my eyes and frowned in confusion as I sat up in bed. I glanced over and realized that Leon wasn't there and my frown deepened.

The sound of a pot falling on the floor was heard, followed by a curse.

"Fuck!"

My eyebrows shot up and I hurriedly crawled out of bed and migrated towards the kitchen, where the sounds were coming from.

I peeked around the corner and at Leon, who was padding barefoot all over the kitchen, laying out different bowls and pans on the counter. He was shirtless, sweatpants hanging low on his waist and messy hair that said he had just gotten out of bed.

A giggle escaped my lips at the sight and his eyes immediately snapped to my amused ones.

"What are you doing?" I asked, stepping into the kitchen to gaze at all the ingredients that he had laid out beside the pans.

Leon rubbed his neck, as if he was shy and said, "Well, today's Sunday..."

I stared at him in confusion.

"Y'know... the promise that I made to you..."

Continued staring.

He smiled cheekily and came to wrap an arm around my waist, "you said you missed baking on Sundays with your grandmother, right?"

Realization finally dawned on me. A smile stretched across my lips as my heart melted. This was too adorable. I had completely forgotten that I even mentioned that.

He bent to peck my lips, "this can be our new family tradition. Sunday morning baking sessions."

My smile widened as I leaned in to give him another peck, "I'd love that."

"Great," he pulled away and gestured towards everything, "I hope I got everything. Mom helped me gather ingredients but to be honest with you... I'm gonna have to be your assistant on this one. I have no clue what I'm doing."

I looked at everything and started putting them together in order of what we were going to bake first. I nervously muttered, "I hope I can replicate nanna's baking. It'd be nice to share it with Stacia and Lorena."

"Don't worry, anything you make will taste good... I'd hope."

I laughed and gestured towards the big bowl, "can you pass me that? We'll mix the mixture in first. I need eggs, flour, and the measuring cups to measure out the water."

His face turned serious as he hurriedly went and prepared everything I asked for.

I glanced at the speaker that was on the side and raised an eyebrow, "did you want to listen music?"

He glanced over and grinned, "nothing better to set the mood, right?"

I chuckled and nodded, "it would be nice."

"Let me turn it on," he quickly went to connect the speaker to his phone then started blasting music throughout the kitchen.

Half an hour later, I was mixing the batter together while Leon was cleaning the dishes. This was our second batch and the first was already in the oven, though I'm not sure it'd come out right considering Leon accidentally dumped in more essence that he was supposed to. I tried adding a bit of sugar to counteract the taste so hopefully it came out good. After that, we agreed that I would be the one pouring everything in.

I hummed to myself as the slow music played in the background, finding myself completely relaxed with the peaceful atmosphere.

My mind wandered back to my father and I frowned.