Chapter 6: A Stranger On The Street

Thursday evening that same day, Chloe walked down the street in Old Hollis, the commercial district next to the college that boasted bars, restaurants, funky T-shirt shops, and a psychic who read tarot cards. A neon sign in the shape of an ice cream cone swung from an awning ahead, and her stomach did a nervous flip. She was on her way to hang out with Courtney and Spencer, and even though they were all probably going to think it was just the three of them, Chloe knew Ali would be nearby, watching them.

Chloe couldn't stop thinking about how this would be the last moment alone with Courtney and Spencer. She'd already said goodbye to Aria, which was difficult to do, but this was even harder.

"Chloe?"

She stared across the dark street. A figure in a blue checked coat was waving at her from Snooker's, a college bar with Eagles pennants and Pabst Blue Ribbon lamps. He had a wrist brace on his hand and spiky dark hair. When he called her name again, Chloe recognized the voice immediately. It was Nicholas Maxwell, Ali's accomplice and boyfriend.

Chloe looked around, making sure no one was watching her, then stealthily made her way over to him. As she crossed the street and got a better look at him, she noticed how he looked different than how he normally was. But that was most likely because he was dressed in a disguise to keep people from knowing his actual appearance.

"I'm just checking on you to make sure you're okay." Nick grabbed Chloe and engulfed her into a huge hug. Even though Nick was Ali's boyfriend and accomplice, he didn't think of Chloe as just Ali's little sister—he saw her as his little sister, too. "Ali's been worried about you. She thinks you're going to leave her for Courtney and those girls. And I'm scared she's going to run and not go through with the plan of getting out of here and leaving Rosewood for good. She hasn't done anything yet, but I can't promise she won't."

Chloe looked out at the dark street, as though Ali might be watching, which she definitely was. When Chloe had been the townhouse with Ali and Nick two nights ago, she had a feeling Ali wasn't going to like the idea of Chloe leaving to spend time with Courtney and the four girls. She remembered how hurt Ali looked when Chloe told her she wanted stay a few more days so she could say goodbye to them. But then she remembered how she'd pretended to be asleep, and what she heard and saw made Chloe realize that the little girl Ali used to be was still there.

Chloe closed her eyes, and suddenly, she was back in the townhouse again. She could remember everything very vividly. As she lay on the mattress, pretending to be asleep, she could see the faint outline of Ali's figure. Ali looked at her, a strange mix of horror and relief on her face. She stared down at her hands with that same where-did-these-come-from expression. Then she turned and looked at another figure that loomed next to her. Nick.

"I didn't mean to hurt her," Ali said. "I just lost it, and then I don't know what happened."

"Of course you weren't trying to hurt her," Nick answered. "Chloe knows that, and I'm sure she knows how much you love her."

"How are you feeling?" Nick asked.

Ali's jaw wobbled. "I don't know," she said, looking back at Chloe, a hand over her mouth. "I can't believe I just . . . did that."

"But you didn't meant it. And this was our plan all along. Chloe is here with us."

Ali got to her feet and stared down at Chloe again. Then her hands trembled. "I can't do this." She rushed for the door, but Nick grabbed her arms and whirled her around.

"You can't leave, Ali," Nick said.

Ali tried to wrench free. "Let me go," she rasped. "You don't understand. This isn't the first time I've hurt her." It didn't even sound like her voice.