Chapter 7: Dresses Are A Girl's Best Friends

Chloe and Hanna huddled close as they walked from the Rosewood Day student parking lot to the lobby entrance. A rush of warm air greeted them as they swept inside the school, and then Chloe noticed the display near the auditorium. On a long table across the room was a large photo of Jenna Cavanaugh.

The Jenna shrine was still there.

Chloe smiled internally. She'd been the one to talk to the faculty about doing a shrine in Jenna's honor. After all, Jenna had been murdered around this time last year by Ali. So Chloe thought it was only fitting to remember Jenna yet again. Last year, when Ali was A and communicating with Chloe, Courtney, and the four girls, she'd sent Chloe a photo of Jenna with the twins and Chloe when they were younger. She'd then directed Chloe to Jenna's house when Jenna and Jason DiLaurentis, Chloe's older brother, were talking. She was obviously giving them a hint about his next victim. Jenna had also lingered on Aria's front lawn, looking as though she needed to tell Aria something. When Aria called out to her, Jenna had paled and quickly walked away. Did she sense Ali was going to hurt her? Chloe sensed it right away—she'd seen and heard everything between Aria and Jenna.

But Chloe had gotten to Jenna's house to late. Jenna was already dead. Ali had killed her, just like she killed Ian. And she'd done it all to stop Chloe from leaving her. Including being A.

Chloe looked at the Jenna shrine once more, then shut her eyes. Just that morning, she'd seen a news report about a set of Polaroid photos. Ones that had been taken when Chloe was in third grade, and the others had been taken last year. On the TV, A montage of old photos of Jenna and Courtney had appeared, many of the shots looking like they'd been stealthily snapped from a hiding spot behind a tree or inside a car. Then came images of Spencer, Aria, Emily, and Hanna. Some of the pictures were from when they were in seventh grade, but others were from last year—there was one of the Chloe, Courtney, and the four girls in dark dresses and heels at Ian's trial, waiting for Ian to show up. There was another shot of them gathered by the Rosewood Day swings clad in wool coats, hats, and mittens, probably discussing A.

But that wasn't shocking. Chloe had already seen those photos on a news report last year. It was the slew of photos that had been newly reported on the news that morning—ones that had been taken the night Ali was supposed to kill Courtney.

"The Rosewood Police Department is working on hard to analyze the photos that had been sent in anonymously," the reporter had said. There were several shots of Chloe from that night—one showed her standing outside Spencer's barn, another showed her standing in front of Courtney and the four girls with a ghostly reflection appearing at the barn's window.

Then came the videos. The first one was of Alison sneaking out of the house and up to the barn, watching them through the window. It even showed Ali running into the woods, kneeling down on the ground, and placing the photos in a white envelope. The video stopped just as Ali had buried the photos and took off further into the woods.

The second video, however, was much more recent. It showed a black-hooded figure maneuvering through the woods behind Chloe's house with a flashlight, searching for something. Several frames showed the person crawling on the ground, digging through the dirt.

"While it is believed that Alison DiLaurentis died in the fire that had happened in the Poconos last year, a fire she set herself in an attempt to kill the people who she claims stole her little sister, Chloe, from her, the possibility of her being alive hasn't been ruled out. Since Miss DiLaurentis' remains were never found, it's speculated that she could very well still be alive. She'd been previously known as A, the anonymous stalker who sent threatening text messages and notes to Chloe and her friends. Recently, a new A had been revealed to be sending Chloe messages. And with her recent disappearance, the Rosewood PD hasn't ruled out the possibility that Alison may have kidnapped her.