Chapter Three

AN: and I'M BACK! Sorry this took so long, I was supposed to post this chapter last night, but the damn power went out again. Anyway, sorry for the slow start, but the next chapter is where the plot actually kicks in.
————————————————————-

Leo thought he had imagined it at first.

The smell did not exist a second ago, it was probably all the running that had played with his mind. But no, the smell was real. It was a thick, rich metallic scent that coiled around his nose like a snake. He knew what blood smelled like, but this. It was so overwhelming he felt like choking, he could even say that it was almost sickening. Leo racked his brain as he tried to figure out what could've caused such a cloud of stench.

Maybe there was a wounded animal nearby? That was his first thought, but it instantly vanished when the smell grew stronger. Leo was practically forcing the rising bile down his throat, and his head grew hazy as though oxygen was ripped from his lungs. The smell...it wasn't an animal, he didn't know what it was, but he didn't want to stay there long enough to find out.

Leo blindly ran in one direction, away from the overwhelming aroma. Twigs and small rocks caught between his paws as he bolted down the forest path, his pelt pressed down from the wind currents. He soon regretted not paying attention to his surroundings, as the ground gave out beneath him, and he tumbled into a trench. His body rolled down in vicious cartwheels, before making an abrupt stop as he hit the bottom. His head collided with a tree, and soon the dizziness overtook his brain and his vision turned black...

"Leo..."

"Leo..."

"LEO!"

Leo's eyes shot open, bright light bled into his sight making him groan loudly. Through blurry vision he caught the outline of a familiar figure. Julian stared down at him, fully human, with a look of concern. Leo also noticed that he was also in his human-form, draped in a gown and laying on a white sheeted bed. He must have unconsciously changed back when he had hit the tree. Leo scanned the room he was in. He was in a nicely lit room, medical objects and pill containers lined tall shelves. The light came from the bulb beaming from a lamp hovering over him. He recognised this place, this was the medical office in Nyx Valley. How long has it been since he passed out?

"Leo, what happened?" Julian asked, his brow creased. Leo almost forgot he was there.

"I ran into a tree," Leo responded, blankly.

"That sounds very unlike you," Julian muttered, tilting his head to the side. "Did you trip while chasing that buck?"

Leo's chest flared with annoyance, then he snapped towards the blond. "No, but maybe if you hadn't pushed me, I would've caught it earlier and not have to chase it through the goddamn forest."

Julian regarded him in disbelief. ""I was trying to help you!"

"Oh yes, tossing me into the grass was a great motivator," Leo snapped, sarcastically. 

"You're not supposed to charge at the thing's front, you could have been kicked in the jaw. Since, you're smaller and more fragile, I assumed–"

"Well thanks, mom! I'll think twice before doing my job next time."

"You need to be more careful is what I'm saying," The blond said, seriously. "I–Rose was really worried about you, okay? I can't help it if you're built differently."

Leo gave him a hard look. "Neither can I," He murmured, before turning over on the bed, facing away from the other.

What followed was a long silence, broken only by the soft thrumming of the light bulb. Leo hoped that Julian would just leave, but it seemed that the blond was here to stay. Why was he still here? What did he gain from pissing Leo off? Leo attempted a few calming breaths, ignoring the other boy's presence. That didn't last long.