Chapter 15

College was fine, I had Leonardo to thank for everyone noticing my limp. 

College was over for the day and Leo came to walk with me home. 

"Everyone noticed," I mumbled to him talking about my limp.  "Well they should."  He said. "How is italian coming along?" Leonardo asked as we turned the corner of the block.  "It's ok, I guess."  I said unsure of what he was doing. 

"Ok, sei mio (you are mine)."  He said his voice flowing through my head and echoing. 

"I don't know that one."  I said and blushed from embarrassment.  "I could always teach you," he said a sly smirk on his face. 

I felt something, or someone bump into me.  I heard them thump on the ground, I looked down and saw a small girl sitting there, tears streaming down her face. 

She was crying and sobbing.  "What's wrong?" I asked her, she looked to be about 3 or 4.  What could have made this girl cry? 

I crouched down to be at her level.  She latched on to me crying into the crook of my neck. "Bad men, they're coming to get me." She whispered, her cries going down to a few stray tears.

"How long until we're home?" I asked turning my head to look at Leonardo. "A block or two away." He said, i wrapped my arms around the girl making sure she wouldn't fall down.

Leonardo placed a hand on her head and rubbed it a small bit trying to reassure her. "We're going home," He told the little girl, "we'll keep you away from the bad men." He reassured her.

She smiled at him, still keeping close to me.

"Let's get going."Leo said taking his hand of the girls head.  She nuzzled closer to me practically shaking with fear.  We started walking in silence, walking towards home to get away from the men that were chasing this poor little girl. 

"She went over here!" Someone yelled from behind us, the girl stiffened in my grip.  "It's ok," I whispered into her ear.  "There not going to get you as long as we're here."  I said starting to rub her back soothingly. 

We continued walking, sometimes we would hear the faint call of people shouting about the girl going this way or that.  Luckily we got home before they started interrogating people. 

I walked towards the kitchen, I heard Leonardo lock the door.  "It's alright," I said walking into the kitchen with the little girl still clutching close to my body.  "Your safe now."  I said placing her down on the kitchen island. 

She sat down tears were still slowly falling down her face.  Leonardo entered the kitchen.  I went to the freezer and pulled out a popsicle.  "Here," I said opening the popsicle for her to eat. 

Her small fingers wrapped around the stick of the popsicle.  She smiled timidly, "thanks," it was very quiet thanks.  She stuck the popsicle in her mouth, her tears started to dry. 

"What's your name?"  Leonardo asked.  Now that the girl wasn't latching onto me I could get a good look at her.  She had brown hazel eyes, with blond, almost white, hair.  There were small freckles kissing her face, her ears were pierced.  The piercing was a small gold color ball on both ears, it really brought out her eyes. 

"C-Chase," she said taking the popsicle out from her mouth.  "Hello Chase," Leonardo said giving Chase a smile.  "How old are you?"  Leonardo asked leaning on the counter. 

"I'm five."  She said holding a small cubby hand out with five fingers extended.  "Really," Leonardo said surprise lacing his voice.  "Me too."  He said smiling at Chase.