Sixteen: Appearences Only

'Cause if I don't kiss ya, I'm gonna go mad baby
Take off my clothes
We can funk.."

1988.

Western Germany. (Final show)

"You sure you feel up to it?" Prince asked the woman in front of him as he helped slip her arms into the two piece bathing suit that hugged her figure. It was patterned with a crisscross back that was open, but covered the places she was most self-conscious about. "Because we don't have to go my love,"

His fiancée scoffed and shook her head. "There's no chance I'm missing out on a rooftop pool party to celebrate your last show in Europe amante. Stop being a worrier and let's go have some fun." She said, quickly turning her head kiss his cheek before popping a Green Apple sucker in her mouth.

Prince couldn't help but laugh at the smirk on her face as they walked out of the bedroom hand in hand to join the others waiting for them. She wasn't in pain and was bouncing off the walls, eager to have a good time, eager for the man she loved to let loose a little.

"Let's go," Kirk said with a tight-lipped smile. He held the door while Prince led everyone out into the hallway and towards the elevator. "Remember everyone, this is for appearances only!"

The legend knew all too well that his fiancée was in a happy, playful mood and never went for the appearances only lingo, even before the reality that laid before them. She had always been hyper, unable to sit still while everyone around her mingled. She was different, keeping Prince grounded while he was put on a pedestal by others.

He loved that about her.

"Isn't it a celebration for P's hard work? It doesn't make sense to just stand around," His fiancée said with a smile, which eventually turned into a smirk. Moving the sucker in her mouth from one side to another, she subconsciously wondered how much things would change once they touched back down in Minneapolis.

Her thoughts were cut short when her lover teased, gesturing towards the candy that was really doing it's job too good. She began to lean and her eyes were hazy.

"Is it good?" He asked, nonchalantly holding her waist as they walked towards the double doors that led outside. "The flavor I mean,"

His significant other hummed. "Yes. They actually taste like those sour apples – the green ones,"

She'd had three. One in the shower, one as she listened to him go through his creative process, and one when they'd woken up earlier in the afternoon and ate lunch. She was on her fourth.

Pain management. As much as she needed, the doctor said.

"You're going to sleep so good tonight. I can feel it," Prince whispered in her ear. Happy for her to finally get some true rest without being sick throughout the night. "I love you, you know that?"

They made it to the door and entered the party that was already in full swing. Loud music, lots of people and eyes watching their every move.

"Do you love me enough to get in the water?" She whispered with raised eyebrows.

The pool she referred to was packed with men and women alike in all attire — thongs, speedos, and one pieces so low that she was almost sure Prince would look and flirt. Music blared from the speakers around the space and when he shook his head to her question, a playful pout formed.