One step forward, three steps back.

SAERIN POV
———————
One step forward, three steps back.

This is how tormenting life could get. How cruel life could be to someone who has spent nearly their whole entire life dedicating to their studies. She sold her soul to fulfill her dreams of becoming a life-saving surgeon but is now slipping backward.

"Im sorry, saerin. I don't think further more surgeries could help"

Her dreams shattered in a glimpse. She had studied years and years trying to get that medical degree but she couldn't save herself. And I was that she.

"Your underlying structures were fatally destroyed. Your finger nerves, as well as the flexor and extensor tendons, were utterly disrupted by the stab wound. This causes your hand to have strong tremors due to-"

"Nerve ruptures. In other words, my hand is facing severe trauma from the incident... i got it..."

The incident was something I don't want to remember. It hurts me both physically and mentally.

"That's right. However, we can put you through hand therapy and prescribed pills for you. I apologise, sweetie. However, the surgical department wants to put you up on a transfer to the ER department instead after you heal. They're afraid that you aren't able to keep up with long surgeries anymore."
—————

Two years had past and my wounds were starting to heal gradually. My tremors got better. The scars still looked bad but at least I am getting better physically. It wasn't my fault because the incident was something out of my control.

The anxiousness I had been feeling, builds up overnight. Today was my first day back in the hospital not as a patient, not as an surgeon, but as a ER Doctor. And so it was. I couldn't bring up myself from the toilet cubical I was in. But i had too, and i have too-

"Do you heard about it? There was a surgeon who got stabbed on the hand two years ago and she was badly injured. I heard that she's transferred here today."

I didn't...

"Gosh that must be sad, after all the studies to get her degree.. Goshhh... that's really sad"

I pulled up all my courage and latches off the cubicle door. I flash them a small smile and walked out.

'Do they really have to bring it up?' My mind whirled.

"Jang Saerin!" That voice... sounds so familiar. When I turned over, I saw one of my college sunbaenim waving at me and a person that I've never seen before standing next to him.

"Annyeonghaseyo, sunbaenim " I bowed at him and a small smile for the unknown person.

"Ya!! You're still the same as you were back in college. Lack of social skills." and it brought to memory what a bother he was.

Its true that I lacked social interaction skills because I prefer to study and read rather than communicating. People believe and admired me for being shy given how I effectively managed to uphold my principles while I was in college, but it was all a lie. I'm really just disinterested in socialising.

It felt awkward for me but this guy really doesn't know how to shut up and he thinks that were close. I gave him a small smile and nod.

"By the way, this is one of our doctors here, Yang Jungwon. He's a hot shot doc- ouch!" Jungwon hit his head. I felt that satisfactory for a moment "stop it will you! Hello there, nice to meet you!"

"Annyeonghaseyo"

"I heard you got transferred here. Have you met, Doctor Kim, yet?" A dimple appear as he smiles.

"Not yet, but im going too" Leaving with a tiny bow, I went in search of Mr. Kim's office.
——-
"Welcome to the ER Team, Jang Saerin! I hope you're ready to meet the team" he lead me to the ER on-call room.

The room had a weird stench to it. Well it was quite reasonable as there was a rubbish can filled with trash and sink filled with unwashed dishes.

"This will be your new on-call room from today onwards and here are your colleagues" i gave them a bow

"Annyeonghaseyo. My name is Jang Saerin. Please take care of me"

The two girls who were previously using the restroom before i left got startled and uncomfortably nodded, seemingly apologetic. And on the other hand there was also that annoying sunbaenim who i previous met. It was hard for me to remember his name but eventually i got it, Oh Sowoon, and the supposingly 'hot-shot' doctor, Yang Jungwon, who I spoke too previously.

"There are more doctors outside, so...can I have, Eunbin, to tour her around the ER?" She startled again and slowly got up "oh okay..."

"Hi, my name is, Son Eunbin, im really sorry for what happened in the toilet earlier. We really weren't trying to talk bad about you. It was just very shocking for us to have a used to be surgeon joining the ER." She apologised

"who wouldn't be" i gave her small sheepish smile and looked down.

"I'm really sorry for what happened to you. We'll take great care of you" a small smile appears on my face 'would they really?' Was all i could think off.