Chapter One

Alexis Fontaine dragged a thin branch across the beach, observing the pattern it made as its leaves brushed across the top of the sand.
"Alexis!" A voice yelled from behind her. "Come help me unpack your things!"
Alexis sighed and dropped her branch. She turned and trudged up the hill to help her mother unpack. This was her first day in the town of Meerseite and Alexis noted that the scenery here was better than the city where she used to live. But something about it here made her tired and sad. The air seemed to weigh her down as if the the breaths she sucked into her lungs were heavy with sorrow. As if the sea had lost her child and her cry filled the air with sadness. Alexis pondered all of this as she mindlessly picked up boxes and placed them inside her new home.
"Alexis?" Her mom called.
"Hm?"
"You're putting the bedroom stuff in the kitchen."
"Oh," Alexis mumbled. "Oh!" She exclaimed after her brain finally processed what her mother had said. She apologized as she picked up a mattress and carried it into what was to be her bedroom. It was an average sized room with baby blue walls and two windows facing the ocean. Alexis continued to move the furniture into place for a couple hours until it was dark out. Her personal belongings remained in boxes, stacked in the corner of her room by the window except for her diary which lay on the nightstand to the left of her bed. Alexis stretched and flumped down on her bed, promptly falling asleep.

Alexis woke to the sound of her mother calling her from the kitchen.
"Alexis!"
"Hm?"
"I'm going to the store. What do you want for breakfast?"
"Bacon." Alexis grumbled.
"Okay honey, I'm heading out now." Alexis's mother grabbed her keys from off the kitchen counter and headed to the door. Alexis yawned as her mother left the house. She remembered she had had an odd dream last night but couldn't quite recall all the details. Alexis walked back to her room and sat down on the side of her bed. She picked up her diary and stared at it for a few seconds before picking up a pen and writing in it. After she finished, she put down her diary, stood up and stretched. She stared out the window at the empty beach and sighed. She flopped backwards onto her bed and rolled up in the sheets. She lay there for a few minutes, just staring at the wall before falling back asleep.