Best Friends

Olaf looked at his best friend thoughtfully. "You miss him a lot, don't you." It wasn't a question. "Who?" Kit asked. That was a question, but she already knew the answer. "Your brother." Olaf answered. "I'm sure he's doing just fine at his apprenticeship." Kit said absentmindedly, not looking at Olaf. "But you're worried about him. Apprenticeships are dangerous, at least in our profession." Olaf said, sitting forward.

Kit laughed hollowly. "You know me too well." She met his eyes. "Sorry. You know how protective I am and how worried I get. Jacques is scared too, even if he won't admit it. I can tell." Olaf nodded silently, fidgeting with a handful of dead grass. 

"But, it's not a big deal. Lemony's tough and he can handle himself." Olaf didn't answer. Kit sat up taller and shook her head. "So, how have you been? How are your parents?" Olaf swallowed and tilted his head casually. "Oh- you know. They're good." Kit raised her eyebrows. He didn't even have to tell her. She put her hands on his and he looked up from his fidgeting hands, now still. His steel gray eyes met her warm hazel ones. "It's ok." Kit whispered. Olaf's relationship with his mother was- less than friendly. Olaf grimaced blankly.

Kit crawled around behind Olaf. She sat with her back leaning up against his. He blushed, leaning against her. "Don't worry." She whispered to him. "What ever happens, I'm always here." She held out her hands to the side, where he could reach them. "Best friends?" She asked. "Best friends. Forever." He nodded, his eyes definitely not stinging with tears. He took her hands, feeling warm tingling, like a zap or something where their fingers touched. "It's you and me Snicket. Up against the world."

IMPORTANT EDIT: After starting All The Wrong Questions, I realize that both Kit and Olaf would be at their apprenticeships, having graduated Prufrock Prep, and thus, the encounter in the past 2 chapters is impossible

IMPORTANT EDIT: After starting All The Wrong Questions, I realize that both Kit and Olaf would be at their apprenticeships, having graduated Prufrock Prep, and thus, the encounter in the past 2 chapters is impossible. My apologies. However- isn't that what fanfiction is for? To imagine the impossible? Have a lovely life.<3

Yours Sincerely,

Katherine