Chapter 3: Learning About Partnership

"Do not listen to her," the professor replied as his Lucario stepped forward.

"It's one against four," the woman replied as her Crustle stepped forward.

"You do realize I have a full team?" Zander countered as he set a hand on one of the five other Pokeballs at his waist. "Not to mention a Mega? Nor the fact that others have been contacted? You won't walk out of this unscathed if you don't leave now."

"Unscathed? Seriously? Skip the monologue! Mightyena, Bite!" The man behind Mightyena called, and the Pokemon lunged forward at Zander's Lucario.

"Extreme Speed," Zander responded, and Lucario dashed forward, slamming into the Mightyena and taking it to the ground.

"Spread out, each of you take a kid," the woman with the Crustle called. Her eyes looked around, before her face split into a wide grin at the sight of Augustus.

"Well, well, would you look at that?" The woman pointed at Augustus, and he stepped back under her threatening form. "I don't usually have the time nor the patience to break new trainers, but-"

"Augustus, don't listen to her! Don't release your Pokemon! She'll take them if you do!" The professor said.

Augustus clamped a hand over the Pokeball protectively, but it opened in his hand. His Bulbasaur leapt out with a growl, staring down the Crustle.

"Bulba! Bulbasaur!" Bulbasaur said, taking a defensive stance as the Crustle smiled.

"Fury Cutter," the woman called.

"Tackle!" Augustus yelled in reply, and Bulbasaur dodged the Crustle's attack, before slamming into the shell of the Pokemon, knocking it off balance slightly. The crab stumbled away with an angered noise.

Suddenly, a loud roar cut off the Crustle's noise, and a giant purple Pokemon moved in front of Augustus. The thing was giant and had many horns, its tail thrashing from side to side as it snarled at the Crustle. The crab hissed in response, but scuttled backwards.

"King!" The purple Pokemon growled. "Nido! Nidoking!"

And the Pokemon slammed the ground harshly, roaring as it used Earth Power. A blast of energy shot towards Crustle, knocking it backwards and off its feet to land upside down. The Pokemon shrieked and tried to roll itself over. The woman stepped back, her once smug smile now a grimace.

Nidoking turned to stare at the Bulbasaur, who nodded to him in response. Nidoking replied with a huff and the two readied themselves as the woman hefted her Crustle over.

"Crustle, Fury Cutter!" She snarled and her Pokemon leapt forward, claws aiming for Nidoking.

"Use Vine Whip!" Augustus found his voice at the last second, and Bulbasaur brought out two vines to lash at Crustle, stopping it in its tracks. As Crustle swiped at Bulbasaur, Nidoking opened his mouth and fired a beam of frosty energy at the bug, knocking it back into its trainer.

Augustus took a look around. Yancy was dueling the trainer with the Mightyena with help from a flying, blue, beetle-like Pokemon with a pair of large, jagged pincers that snapped at the Mightyena, firing a ball of green energy at it and knocking it back.

Lillian was battling the trainer with the Ariados, along with a large, bulky, black and orange crystalline Pokemon. As Torchic landed an Ember attack, the crystalline Pokemon used a move Augustus recognized as Stone Edge. Pointed rocks shot up from the ground, sending the Ariados up just in time for Torchic to fire another Ember and take it to the ground, knocking it out.

The Professor appeared to be having the least trouble with the Muk, as his Lucario fired a blue Aura Sphere at the blob. His own Pokemon looked in relatively good health compared to the Muk, who slumped into a puddle of rancid-smelling goo.