Twenty-Four

The ride back to the (L/n) household was not the most comfortable to say the least. After having seen their daughter for the first time in years, an argument did not quite set the right atmosphere in the (L/n) family. Hurtful words were said; incorrect assumptions remained prominent. 

As each family member exited the vehicle, not a word was uttered as Mrs. (L/n) gawked at the state of their lawn.

It was unruly and clearly untouched— exactly what you would expect from a caretaker whose life revolved around studying till she dropped.

Once they set foot on the porch, the load creaking of the deteriorating floorboards caused Mr. (L/n) to immediately step away.

"(Y/n), how could you neglect our home to this point—"

(Y/n) quickly opened the door and disappeared into the dark corridor— completely ignoring her father's remarks.

As Mrs. (L/n) flicked the light switch on, they were met with hoards of take-out waste and rotting fruit peels on the ground. To the (L/n) couple, all they could think of was the absolute disgrace their daughter had put on them. What little concern they originally had for her disappeared in a single snap.

(Y/n) threw her shoes to the ground and attempted to run to her room in time, but she was too late.

"(Y/n) (L/n), come down this instant." The boom of her father's voice had always scared her as a child, and it still did.

(Y/n) slowly turned her heel and made her way back down. Her dull eyes stared back at her father's, debating whether to keep the snappy attitude or simply give in to their wishes.

"What is it?"

"I believe it's 'What is it, father?'" Mr. (L/n) said sourly. "A few years away from your mother and I and you've gone completely wild already!"

Mrs. (L/n), dumbfounded, bent towards the cough and tossed an ant-infested paper plate to the ground. "What is this behavior, (Y/n)?" She turned to her daughter with a look of disappointment. "Just because we left the family home under your care doesn't mean you get to do whatever you wish. We still expect you to be a good steward of our property. You clearly haven't been doing a good job at it!"

(Y/n) rolled her eyes and looked away, arms crossed as she muttered something incoherent.

Mrs. (L/n) clenched her fists, pissed at her daughter's reaction. "What was that, young lady?" She got up and started advancing toward her.

"I said that's rich coming from someone who completely abandoned their child."

Mr. and Mrs. (L/n) both shared a glance before they stood alongside each other, ready to scold the hell out of her. As a result of their excruciating past in which they had to climb their way to the top, (Y/n)'s parents greatly valued respect— something they were not receiving at the moment.

"Are you going to keep up with that defiance, young lady?" Mr. (L/n) looked at her sharply. "Are you forgetting who you're speaking to right now?"

"The same people who have neglected me for years and even up to now only care about your stupid reputation." (Y/n) spat, gradually gathering her confidence amidst her father's towering energy. "I've gone from hell and back and had my whole life get ruined... Yet you didn't care— not once— to ask how I was!"

"We didn't ask because it's very evident to us that you were doing just fine!" Mrs. (L/n) retorted. "You see us for the first time and immediately give us the attitude! What kind of parents wouldn't be disappointed?"

"I just woke up from a coma, mother, father." (Y/n) sucked in a breath. "And the first thing I hear is 'you didn't do good enough'."

"Any reasonable parent would react that way when the child they've invested so much on suddenly decides to ruin their life—"

"It wasn't my fault!" (Y/n) exclaimed. Her hands gripped the staircase railing as uncontrollable tears began to fall. However, she was not about to cry just yet. No, she would not give them that satisfaction.

"It was YOUR job to raise me. It was YOUR job to protect me," She continued. "Mother, father, the house being in the wreckage was a result of my mental health severely deteriorating—"

"Here we go again with that mental health excuse." Mr. (L/n) cut her off. "How many times do we have to tell you, (Y/n), that there are a lot more people in a worse position than you?"

"That doesn't make it any better! I was still hurting, Father—"

"The Zeus twins have been parentless for years and yet they're holding up very well. We can even say they're more successful than you." Mrs. (L/n) said.

That was the last straw. At a crucial time like this, how could her own parents still afford to compare her to other people in an attempt to invalidate her struggles?

The girl stepped back down into the living room, wiping the remains of her tears with her sleeve. She could not believe that she had almost opened up her heart to her parents who would have stepped on it and crushed it even more. It was clear to her that no amount of convincing would make her parents realize they were in the wrong.

At the end of the day, success had eaten them up whole.

"Then go adopt them then," she said bitterly before stomping out of the house.

It was when her bare feet made contact with the cold, hard ground that she realized she probably should have worn her shoes before running away. Nevertheless, she could not back out of her decision.

She could hear her parents demand she comes back as she progressively sped up. She did not care that the tiny pebbles on the ground hurt to run on. She only cared about the outcome of her actions.

If her parents truly wanted her back, they would run after her and not just yell.

A few seconds had passed and (Y/n) turned the corner— there was no sign of either parent advancing towards her.

She stopped running and just stood idly. She held onto the hope that her parents were still running after her and were just abnormally slow.

Two minutes had passed and there was still no sign of her parents.

'So that's how it is, huh?' She bit her lip. 'I knew this would happen but it still hurts...'

As she picked up her running pace once more, she held a hand up to her heart— unable to rid of the feeling of agony when she finally realized her parents no longer loved her.

She felt lost. Where was she supposed to go now? She had run away with the assurance her parents would still bring her back, but she was wrong. As if her whole life had not already fallen into shambles, she was also disowned.

The girl stopped at the empty crosswalk, wondering why it was so empty amidst her melancholy. She figured if it started raining she would no longer be surprised. Things just did not seem to be looking well for her at all.

Then the feeling of longing hit her. She longed for love and attention. She longed to be wanted. She longed for someone to appreciate all she had done. She longed for comfort.

As she took a seat on the sidewalk, she held her arms around her body in an attempt to gather warmth.

A certain blond stood across the crosswalk, staring at her vulnerable figure in shock.

He immediately rushed to her aid, taking his jacket off to put them around her shoulders.

He was just about to ask her about what had happened when the girl looked up at him with bloodshot eyes.

"Aether," she said pleadingly, tears dripping down her cheeks. "Please... I don't know what to do..."

Then, she laid her head on his shoulder and lost consciousness.