Chapter 7

Aaand we're back!

Thank you guys so much for the encouragement and the wonderful response to this story. You guys make this writer very happy! 🤍

The time for the long-awaited IlCey confrontation is finally here. Let's go...!

——

"After all this time?

Always."

- J.K. Rowling.

Maybe this Time - Chapter Seven

Ilgaz heard the sound of the doorbell ringing and frowned in response. It was almost eight in the evening, and he wasn't expecting any company.

Placing the last washed plate in the cupboard above the sink, the prosecutor dried his hands on a dishcloth before making his way to the front door.

To his surprise, he found Ceylin on the other side. The lawyer seemed nervous wrapping the sides of her jacket tightly around herself.

"Hey," Ilgaz greeted her after long seconds in which they stared at each other in silence. Something in Ceylin's sullen expression made Ilgaz apprehensive. "Is everything okay?" He asked while searching for clues that justified her presence at his doorstep.

"Yes," Ceylin confirmed with a sad smile as she noticed Ilgaz's body language. He held the door with one of his arms, blocking the way inside. Ceylin tried not to get alarmed by his defensive posture. "Can I come in?"

Ilgaz hesitated, unsure.

He'd had pretty much the whole afternoon to reflect on the latest events and the discoveries he'd made earlier that day. During his conversation with Eren, Ilgaz had allowed himself to act impulsively, a type of behavior he absolutely detested.

His self-contempt made him decide to take a strictly practical approach regarding the subject. He couldn't change the current circumstances, just as he couldn't change Ceylin's nature. She had repeatedly proved that the best thing they could do from now on was stay away from each other.

At the same time, despite the feeling of betrayal he was experiencing, Ilgaz didn't wish to fight or be on bad terms with the lawyer. The wisest course of action was to keep a cordial relationship without any kind of emotional involvement.

Yes, Ilgaz decided with practicality. From now he'd treat Ceylin with the same civility, courtesy, and formality as an acquaintance or someone he worked with.

With any luck, he might eventually start seeing her as just that.

With a sigh of resignation, the prosecutor stepped to the side, allowing her to lead the way into the living room.

As soon as they set foot inside, Ilgaz remained silent with his hands on his hips. He slightly narrowed his eyes, staring inquisitively at Ceylin.

The lawyer swallowed hard when she noticed his inflexible, uptight posture. By not showing emotion, Ilgaz was making it abundantly clear how upset he was. She knew him well enough to figure out that whenever Ilgaz raised those invisible walls around him, it became even harder to get to him and talk the man into something he didn't wish to do.

Ceylin didn't know much but was sure she'd have a long, exhausting battle ahead.

Unsure where to begin, the lawyer chose to talk about the first subject that came to mind.