𝐓𝐖𝐎

SUMMER 1813 -
timeline - 1

the bridgerton home was unseemingly quiet that morning. the hot summer sun shone through the large windows, creating an essence of liveliness around the family. the bridgertons were a close family, they did not care the formalities most families of the ton had. they liked to talk, to run around and tell jokes. breakfast was usually when they all sat together and chatted for what felt like hours. but this day was different.

something had compelled flora to practice her pianoforte over the meal. it was not something she did often, the girl opted to play alone as she got embarrassed when other people watched.
her family felt it disrespectful to talk over her playing. so, they sat on the couches and ate in a comfortable silence.

flora longed for mornings like this, one's she knew would not last forever.being one of the youngest siblings had it's cons, including that majority of her siblings would get married and move away, leaving her.

daphne already had, marrying the duke of hastings a few months prior. now anthony was following in pursuit. next would be benedict, then colin and probably francesca. although the girls were twins, flora had no doubts that her sister would marry before her. fran was always the more agreeable one, she always knew what to say and how to act, flora didn't think that her twin had ever doubted herself in her life. a part of her envied that, but the other part was grateful that flora bearing the faults meant francesca didn't have to.

moments like this with her family made the embarrassment of other people hearing her music almost bearable. almost. the only thing that made it better was to block out her surroundings entirely. ignoring everything around her so diligently that flora almost couldn't hear her own music. daphne used to be the one to play pianoforte for them and since they all missed her so. flora just wanted to make her family happy, that was all she ever wanted really.

when she was done, flora blinked. her eyes focusing on her torn up finger nails. they were buzzing, buzzing with excitement for once and not from fear. when flora played she almost disconnected with her body, finding solstice in just her fingers and the way they could play piano. it was her natural gift, the only one she believed to possess and even that brought her great irrational shame.

when her family began to clap, she felt it physically impossible not to roll her eyes, "stop it" she ordered, to which gregory and hyacinth just started clapping louder to make her mad, "actually stop i will faint if you do not."

they both stopped reluctantly, going back to their game of chess with proud smiles on their faces. flora sighed, removing herself from the piano and over to the couches. where she sat herself in between benedict and francesca.

"that was beautiful, darling" violet complimented, "i don't believe i have heard that song before, is it from a new composer?"

"i actually wrote it myself" flora admitted after a strange pause. it was not as if she was embarrassed of the piece itself, more just embarrassed to admit to her family she had actually done something besides just be a side character in their own lives.

"flora! that is incredible" violet flushed with pride at her daughter, "does it have a name?"

"yes i was thinking of naming it after daphne" she told them, "it reminds me of her."

"i was thinking it was quite fitting of daphne" hyacinth chimed in.

"no you weren't" gregory called her out.