Chapter 3

Aurora

After trying to reach him by phone for hours without getting a reply, I finally found Ezra, the asshole, at the cafeteria closest to Mage Hall, which was the hall farthest from Werewolf Hall.

I didn't need to ask him why he wasn't picking up my calls because I knew that Ezra, the coward, was avoiding me and refusing to face me and what he'd done. Unfortunately for him, I was so mad at him that I tracked him down using a location-tracking spell I'd learned from Aunt Ciara.

When I found him, I sneaked up to Ezra and slid into the only chair opposite him in the two-seat chair he'd chosen for eating his dinner.

"I'm sorry, but I'm not in a good mood. Can you go to another table?" He asked politely without raising his head, muffling his voice with the sleeve of his tracksuit, proving once again that he knew that he'd done something wrong and was trying to avoid me instead of apologizing.

"I never thought you were a coward," I said, making sure my voice was clear enough for everyone in the cafeteria to hear. "But then again, I never thought you were a liar and a cheater. So that's a lot of things I never realized made you Ezra . . . until today."

He raised his head, his eyes flashing dangerously, an inhuman growl leaving his lips as he looked up to face me, the glow in his blue eyes showing that he'd invited his werewolf half to this party.

But a single heat-filled snarl from my wolf half had him bowing his head. After all, I was an Alpha werewolf, and he wasn't.

I didn't want to waste my time on him, so I asked the question that made me track him down. "Why did you lie to your true mate that I refused to break up with you after I found out you had a true mate and that I threatened your career in the Supernatural Council if you tried to leave me?"

"Didn't you?" He said.

I eyed him and under his gaze, I removed the glove on my right hand, making a show of the whole thing, as I said. "I have probably never told you this, but my instinctual magic is mind-related and one of my abilities includes forcing people to tell the truth. Now we can do this the easy way or the hard way. The hard way will have you spilling secrets you don't want to share while the easy way allows you to remain in control of the truths you share as long as they are proven true by this spelled truth-o-meter."

He glared at me and the truth-o-meter I placed on the table between us, his eyes blazing with anger that I didn't think he had any right to be feeling. Giving him a truth-o-meter, which would visibly gauge whether he was telling the truth or lying with green and red signals, instead of forcing him to tell the truth was a mercy and he didn't even know how to appreciate it.

If anyone saw this scene of us talking without context, they would think I was bullying him or something. However, just seeing his face irritated me so I urged, "Make a choice quickly. I have better things to do with my time, okay?"

"Well, that's the thing, isn't it? You never have time! What kind of girlfriend meets her boyfriend once or twice a week and doesn't call me unless I call her?" He said with a resentful glare.

I returned his glare and reached forward to touch his arm, even though I didn't want to touch him. "I don't have time for this. You're talking like I did you wrong, but you're the one who not only cheated on me with my ex-best friend, but also lied against me. The only reason I'm still willing to look at your disgusting face is to get your public confession as to why you lied that I was using my parent's position to threaten you. Now spill the beans and let me be on my way."

After dodging my grip, he started speaking. "Weren't you threatening me, though?"

He glared at me, making me surprised because I'd never threatened him. "Oh, it's not about you saying the words, okay? It's about your father being the head of the Supernatural Council's Intelligence Department. I was afraid that if I broke up with you before I got into the Intelligence department, your father would come after me and maybe . . . he would prevent me from getting a suitable position during recruitment."

I stared at the truth-o-meter that had landed between the red and green signal on the truth-o-meter, showing that he was both telling the truth and lying.

I couldn't endure his hypocrisy anymore, so I grabbed his arm and said, "Everything you're saying is bullshit. Now, tell me why you refused to tell me you found your true mate and why you told your true mate that you rejected me, but I refused to let you go by threatening you with my father's position in the Supernatural Council."

That was when he started telling the truth. "This is your fault, okay? I'd hoped that I could mate with you and get your family's prestige and connection by the way and then I found my true mate, a little girl from a small influential family who couldn't bring me as much benefits. I would have rejected her without a second thought. Unfortunately, I wasn't secure in my relationship with you. You didn't really care about me. What kind of girlfriend has never allowed her boyfriend to see her Camdine Academy room? Even when I asked, you refused to introduce me to your family. The only way I met your father was that time I met you walking out of the elevator with him in the Supernatural Council. And you had that guy . . ."

He growled before continuing, "The vampire who is super possessive of you and is always hanging around. I knew that if I rejected Elle, I would never get another rich girl who was so dedicated to me because of our bond, but I couldn't be separated from you just yet. I just needed about eight months? After I've gotten a suitable position in the Supernatural Council's Intelligence Department, I would break up with you and finally focus on my true mate. But the darn girl wouldn't just sit still, she just wanted everyone to know right away, so I had to lie to her."

I let go of his arm and stared at the defensive look on his face while thanking the gods that I didn't fall in love with scum like him. "Do you know the worst part of all of this? It's the fact that you think you're right for trying to use your relationships to make things easier for you. You're basically a social climber."

"Don't call me that." He snarled.

I stood up and looked down at him like I was looking at an insignificant insect that I could crush under my feet. "Well, after your confession goes up on the Academy's forum, I'll see if you can get that high recruitment position you'd hoped for. And by the way, my father has nothing to do with recruitment in the Supernatural Council. There is a separate and neutral Supernatural Council panel that handles recruitment for all personnel into the various Supernatural Council departments. I'll make sure they see this video, asshole. Then they can decide for themselves if you're a suitable candidate for any department."

As I walked away, I heard a sniffling Elle, who seemed to have also been searching for Ezra only to find him while he was making his confession, rejecting her mate bond with him.