Chapter Ten

The weekend comes and goes, as does all of Monday, and I still haven't replied to Hugo's text, despite every intention to do so. I hid from Georgina at school, wondering what she'd say about the whole thing. I wouldn't want her to tell me that his interest in me was all in my head... but then I definitely wouldn't want her to tell me it was real. Evette noticed something was wrong through the weird psychic link she has with me, asking me lots of questions about my day after I came home on Monday. She's been so nice to me, in fact, that Mum praised her for her efforts. 'How sweet you are, Eve,' she had said, ruffling Eve's hair.

I've barely spoken to Beth, either, outside of texts. Even at work on Monday we just smiled at one another. I swear, I'm not trying to freak out every time she looks at me. It just happens that way. I can feel every molecule of space between us when we're working, always worrying that if I get too close she'll snap. Then again, she didn't tell me off for anything during the entire shift. Who knows? Maybe we're sorting things out.

Now I'm standing in front of the mirror in my bedroom, tying my hair into two ponytails and contemplating whether to opt for my other flannel instead of my green one. I check my phone the very second that it buzzes, feeling myself smile when I do.

Bethany: I'm outside. Grab your stuff.

Morgan: Can you give me five minutes? I just need to fix my eyeliner and then I'll be right out. <3

Bethany: ...

Bethany: Fine.

Bethany: <3

***

By the time I get outside it has begun to rain. Not so much that it's pouring, but enough that the ever–conscientious Bethany Reynolds has an umbrella poised over her shoulder. It's still warm though, and normally this kind of weather would make me feel all gross and sticky, but today I find myself shivering.

Beth's top button is undone.

'Hey!' I squeal, rushing towards her as fast as I can to protect my hair. It's only once I'm under the umbrella that I realise there actually isn't that much space, and I'm cramped up beside her so closely that her thigh brushes mine. 'Sorry that took so long.'

'It's —' she clears her throat '— it's fine. Come on, I'll walk you to the car.'

She's got a blue Hyundai i30. I know it from the car park at work — I normally go in the back way, even though I can't drive without Mum yet. Sometimes I would catch her as she was going inside the building, dark-eyed with a black tote bag over one shoulder. Before we became friends again, she'd just glare at me and pick up her pace.

But the car is different now that I'm seeing it from a new perspective. It's not "Bethany's car, belonging to my colleague", it's "Bethany's car, belonging to my friend". Of course, it's even stranger once I'm actually inside. First there's the scratches around the port for the Aux cord where she's struggled to plug it in, then there's the She-Ra plush hanging from her rearview mirror. Even the Wicked: The Musical keychain attached to her car keys, which I find myself glancing at as she chucks them into the centre cupholder.

'Sorry,' Beth says, 'it's a total mess in here.' She leans over me to pick up the empty plastic bags sitting at my feet and toss them into the back. All I can do is smile. 'I knew I should have cleaned beforehand...'

'It's fine, really!'

Beth frowns like she's not entirely sure I'm telling the truth, but she doesn't argue. Instead she turns the car on and heads into the street. She doesn't even turn on the radio.

So, this is more awkward than I thought it was going to be.

'How was your day?' I ask. I think that this is a decent question. After all, I didn't see Beth at all during school.

She shrugs. 'It was okay. I had bio, though, which was the literal worst.'

'Oh! You've got Mr. Gooberman, right?'

'Yeah.' Beth nods. 'He sucks. So much.'

'Right? And what kind of name is "Gooberman", anyway?'

I can see the hint of a smile, only at the corner of her mouth, but she wipes it away as quickly as one might wipe a stain off a benchtop. It's a little disheartening. Then again, this is still Bethany. It's unlike her to change overnight.

Even so, it bothers me that she still doesn't trust me. Aren't I a trustworthy person? Haven't I shown her enough kindness over the years? I thought I did a pretty good job during our friendship... but I must have been so wrong. She must hate me for some undisclosed reason. Maybe she's only hanging out with me because of pity. Maybe that whole conversation after auditions was a dream, and I'm slowly but surely waking up.

Beth sighs. I'm jolted enough out of my daze that I stop fidgeting, flashing a quick glance at her before turning away. 'Alright, out with it,' she says shortly. 'What are you thinking about that's got your brain in knots?'

'I'm not in knots,' I shoot back.

'You are. Just tell me. Is it the car? God, I'm pissed that I didn't clean up more —'

'It's not the car!' I run my hands through one of my ponytails, untangling it. 'It's just... you don't seem that interested in talking. Which is, you know, fine. We don't have to talk.'

We stop at a red light and Beth turns slightly to face me. 'Are you sure? Cause it seems like you care a lot whether we talk or not.'

I swallow. This is getting a little too real for me. My hands feel clammy. I'm regretting my choice of outfit... I'm regretting being in this car.

Why do I always do this to myself? Why do I deliberately put myself into situations where I know I'm going to get hurt. Of course Beth thinks I'm selfish, that I'm making it about me. That I think talking is the only indication I have of whether or not she likes me. I'm so stupid.

I think Beth can tell that I'm freaking out. 'Hey,' she says in a softer voice, 'I'm not being quiet because I don't want to hang out with you. I'm quiet because I don't know this area very well. I'm normally a pretty good driver, but I don't want to get you killed while you're in my car because everyone will definitely think I murdered you.'

I laugh. 'Oh. I'm sorry.'

'Don't apologise.'

'I'm —'

'I said don't.'

I blush. She knows me. Grinning, I mime the action of zipping up my mouth and throwing away the key.