Chapter 6

I fist the cold metal inside my pocket as my eyes snap to Liam

I fist the cold metal inside my pocket as my eyes snap to Liam. He was hiding something. He provides me a bullshit of a reason when I ask him why did Charlotte drag him to an empty corridor.

"She just wanted to ask about t-the curriculum." He stuttered. Fucking idiot. Even a blind person can see that Charlotte gave zero fucks about her academics. The selfish bitch only cared about herself, leaving a pile of broken hearts everywhere she went.

The words from last night still ring in my head and I had to control lashing out on Liam. He needs to function properly today. I tell myself. We had a football match today and Liam was the only forward I got along with.

Just as I was done doing my stretches' the cheerleaders come into the ground with the coach. But what gives me a pause was Charlotte dressed in the cheerleading costume. She never really liked cheerleading so what the fuck was she doing here anyway?

'Is that a challenge princess?' 'Yes, Aiden.'

Please don't tell me that she came here to rile me up.

My fists clench by my side as I eye the rest of the football team's eyes affixed on her. The fuckers practically have hearts in their eyes as they watch her ass as she does the usual cheerleading routine. I don't know whether this was supposed to be erotic because every move has my cock jerking and eyes narrowing at the way she deliberately stretches' giving us all the view of the faint abs on her abdomen.

The boys almost drool at her sight except Liam who was busy on his phone and Noah who watches the scene unfold amusedly with hands crossed over his chest. The impulse to break every asshole's jaw who looks at her in the wrong way was so strong that it took every inch of my patience to not snap and go over there and throw her over my shoulder and carry her away from all the privy eyes. They Do. Not. get to see her like this.

"Jaws off the floor assholes." I finally snap and the jocks frown at me but the others listen and start doing their usual workout. "Do I need to say twice," I ask one of the jocks taking a step forward towards him.

"Back to practice Brad. Don't start something before the match." Noah rolls his eyes and that asshole listens to him before throwing a middle flinger in my direction. Fucking amature asshole.

My eyes go back to Charlotte and find her surveying the vast field only to pause at me. Her eyebrows raise and a smirk tugs at her lips as she walks in our direction. Everything about her screams trouble with the way her hips sway or the way that joke of a costume hugs her figure a little tightly at her chest or it's that look on her face which makes me narrow my eyes.

Just as she was in an earshot I sigh and meet her eyes. "I'm not in a mood for your bullshit-" she walks past me and my jaw clenches as I turn back towards her and grab her wrist pulling her towards me.

I'm very well aware of all the eyes on us and I need everyone to know that Charlotte Allen was strictly off-limits. "What the fuck do you even think you're doing?" I growl and she gives me a bored look and removes my hand on her wrist.

"Not everything is about you Aiden. As I said, get over it." She throws last night's words at me and tilts her head analyzing me. "And look I'm the head cheerleader." She smirks. I wonder how Victoria- or whatever the fuck her name was handling it.

"You hate cheerleading," I state blankly.

"And so does my mother, so why not?" She shrugs and comes closer to me. My breathing hitches as I feel her pressing up into me her lavender cologne fills my senses along with a hint of mint.

My brows furrow for a second but every thought vanishes as I feel her hand on my chest and the other travelling to my nape. My muscles coil under her touch as her breath fans my collarbone. "It's only fair that you also don't wear this Aiden," she whispers and before I could register anything she walks away with my chain dangling on her fingers.

I stand and watch in a haze as she converses with Noah and other jocks. Her fake giggling and laughs scratch my ears as I continue staring at her. "What the fuck was that?" Liam asks as he stands by me and watches Charlotte. I turn to him and watch him studying her. There was only curiosity in his gaze along with- was that pity?

"She's the infamous Callie," I tell him and he snaps his head back to me with wide eyes. One drunk night - which was also my birthday- specifically after a bad fight at the underground I spilled my heart out to him and sobbed like a fucking baby.

"As in your Callie?" he asks with his jaw open.

"I don't think I can say that now Liam," I say shifting my eyes back to the girl I once loved with every inch of my being. She is the shell of the person she used to be.

She changed.

I changed.

I know that change is inevitable but the pain that came along with it sits like a vice in my chest making it harder to breathe whenever she's near. Because even when everything changed the feelings that I have for her are a constant that would never change.

"Why did she drag you to a corner Liam?" I ask him again not leaving my eyes off her. It's been so many years since I saw her and even if I watch her for the rest of the eternity it wouldn't be enough for me.

"It's not my secret to tell Aiden." He sighs and that only piques up my curiosity. Liam never hid things from me. At least as far as I knew, he told me everything. He was the brother I never had.

"Fine." I bark. It shouldn't really matter now. No matter what I feel for her the only thing I need to hold on is to hatred. While love got me nowhere hatred gave me a purpose. At least this way she can be in pathetic excuse of a life for however long it lasts. The last thing I need for her is to feel something I feel for her because even though I'm a selfish bastard I would never let her get too close to me. Charlotte doesn't deserve that kind of pain that comes from loving me.

My hand's fist by my side as I turn away from her and do my usual workout. She often does things to catch my attention and piss me off but I pay no mind to her. I need time to rearrange my thoughts before the damn game. Her confused yet adamant gaze pins me but I don't bother looking at her. The game we are playing is dangerous and the only way to protect both our hearts is to bury everything I feel under the layers of my empty heart.

But as they say, it's easier said than done. Once we walk into this storm called Charlotte Allen there is no point of return

Welp I'm not really good at this enemies to lovers plot so I'm sorry if this book goes to shit 😭

Btw I published a new story called "Marriage Of Convenience" so do give that a read too<3

Love, Mia