2. Magic, Madness, Heaven, Sin

ADARA

"Alice Adara! What a pleasant surprise!" Speira La'Vona, the brand-new Queen of Diamonds smiles with delight as I step into her office. "To what do I owe this pleasure?" she asks after curtsying.

"Speira, hi," I smile with a little wave. "Just call me Adara, remember?" She smiles more and nods. "I actually just wanted to pop by and see how you're settling in. Trust me, I know how surreal this all must be for you."

"Surreal? No, no, no," she laughs as she looks around the enormous white and crystal office. "This already feels more like home than my father's estate ever did."

"Good," I smile though inward grimace at the mention of Duke Kolfer. "Well, I just thought I'd see if you needed anything before I head out. My Tour starts the day after tomorrow, y'know."

"Of course!" She brightens with delight. "I do sincerely wish you marvelous World Tour, Adara! I'm almost sad you are to be gone from the Palace for four months..." she hums with a faint shake of her head. Now she smiles again. "But I'm sure this will be a divine vacation for you! After all, you've been brutally competing in the Eighteen Labors for weeks! You deserve a well-earned rest."

"I am really looking forward to experiencing more of Raetri's culture around the world," I admit with a soft smile. But on the inside I'm feeling a little frantic. I mean, I've just secured the Vorpal Throne at long last and now I have to go on my World Tour of Raetri to meet with the Aces and the other dignitaries that were unable to attend my Labors. Yes, it all sounds amazing and of course I'm dying to meet new people and learn new things about this wonderland realm but...

Mostly I'm scared to be leaving Vyndren behind.

The best sentence I could work out with my Royal Court was one that keeps him indefinitely in an asylum. It was either that or prison but as it stands, the Court is still insisting he be sentenced to prison after his evaluation at the Depp Asylum; but not just any prison. Oh no, they've already decided they want to send him to the Pit. I've come to learn that the Pit is basically a fiery hellhole where only the most, dangerous and deranged creatures are sent to mine fire stones for the rest of their lives.

Talk about horrific.

So I took it upon myself to tell the head doctor at the Depp Asylum that she can keep Vyndren there for however long she needs to, I'm honestly in no hurry to condemn my beloved Dark Rider to the Pit.

Dr. Bones seemed to be thrilled with my request at least and promised to keep Vyndren for a good long time.

"Adara? Adara!" Speira calls a little louder. "Sorry," she smiles when I jump. "You zoned out...are you well?"

"Yeah," I smile breezily. "Better than ever." That's the easiest lie I've ever told. With all the powers I've gained through the Labors, I'm able to perfectly control my every emotion like a champion poker player. No one ever really knows what I'm feeling and mostly I like to keep it that way. Especially these days... I should be happier than ever, but honestly I feel on the verge of depression.

I just lost my father to Regina, and now I've lost Vyndren to the Court...

"Say, before you leave," Speira looks around briefly before she steps closer. "I was wondering if you might fill me in on something that's been pestering me."

The prospect of helping someone actually puts a smile on my face, a genuine one. "Yeah, anything. What do you need?"

"I was frightfully curious about where the Blood Prince is being kept these days..."