Overnight Sensation

Note: Posting a day early since I will be traveling all day tomorrow. Enjoy x

--------------------------------------

"Hey! You!" a voice called out several feet away from where Marinette was sitting in one of the classroom buildings at ESMOD.

She looked up, pulling her thoughts away from her sketches, and saw a familiar brunette girl walking towards her from down the hallway with a shorter girl trailing behind her. Marinette remained sitting on the couch in silence and confusion as she watched the girls march up to her with a tablet in the brunette's hand. Her expression wasn't exactly defined. She looked mad but excited at the same time. Maybe malicious would describe it?

When the girls got closer, Marinette recognized the front girl from one of her classes last semester.

"Can I help you?" Marinette asked once she stopped strutting.

The brunette wasted no time before spewing out her question. "Are you and Adrien Agreste a thing or what?"

Taken aback by this abrupt question, Marinette shifted uncomfortably in her seat, clutching her sketchbook tightly to her chest. "Er, I mean, yeah. How did you..."

Before she could even finish her thought, the brunette flipped her tablet over so that Marinette could see the screen.

Lo and behold, the pictures that Vincent took of her and Adrien at the coffee shop were now being displayed in an online article from a news outlet. Marinette hadn't expected the pictures to be so public so suddenly, but then again, she should've anticipated media outlets to quickly fight to be the first ones to cover it. And it shouldn't have surprised her that students at her fashion school would recognize a picture of a famous fashion designer's son and his friend. In this case, girlfriend.

Marinette continued sitting awkwardly in her seat, waiting for the brunette to say something. She wasn't sure how much longer she could stare at the picture of her. The particular photo that was placed in the article was after she had loosened up and seemed to be laughing at something Adrien said.

"What's your deal?" the girl finally said as she pulled her tablet back into her arms, giving a glance at her friend beside her.

"What do you mean?"

Her eyes narrowed. "You think you're so much better than everyone else, don't ya?" she accused, her tone quickly turning bitter. Marinette wouldn't be surprised if she started spitting when she spoke.

"Er, no? Why do you think that?"

The brunette scoffed while her friend stayed silent. "So it's just a coincidence then that a fashion student is sleeping with the son of Gabriel Agreste?"

Eyes widening, Marinette stiffened, unsure of how to answer such a brash question. "W-what? It's not, um, it's not like that–"

"Oh, don't be so modest," she interrupted. "None of this makes sense. You barely even spoke in class, and now all of a sudden, you're headlining media outlets. What are you planning?"

"I'm not planning anything."

"Then how did it happen, huh?"

This stranger was really starting to get on Marinette's nerves. It's not like she owed this random girl any information. Perhaps she was just jealous that she wasn't getting the attention of the public eye.

After taking a deep breath, Marinette calmly responded, "It's not really your business. I don't even know you. Adrien has been a close friend of mine for a long time, so I don't know why this is a shock to you."