Subtle Surprises

While swinging along the skyline of Paris, Ladybug was positive that she was now the giddy one when it came to her and Chat Noir.

Ever since the baking incident a couple of days ago, it seemed that she and Adrien had gotten closer. If Marinette had known bonding together over unfortunate situations would have brought her closer to him faster, she would have done that a long time ago. She was really happy with how their relationship had been growing. This is the most progress she has ever made with him ever since they met.

He had been texting her occasionally, making sure that they stayed connected to make sure their ruse was still stable. After all, their connection with each other will be seen by many people in just a couple of weeks.

While she was happy that he was taking this fake relationship seriously, she couldn't help but wish that he was making all this effort with her because he wanted to. That maybe somewhere deep down, he wanted to spend time with her and know her on a deeper level.

But that was wishful thinking.

That's how up and down her mind has been this past week. Her mind grew excited at the thoughts of 'what if' with Adrien, but then coming down from that high with the realization that it probably will never happen.

And even if it did, she couldn't continue with it. She had a duty to Paris.

Marinette had attempted to talk about this whole situation with Alya, but it appears she and Nino had been super busy these past couple of days. She wasn't entirely sure how; it's not like they're superheroes or anything. And Alya's schedule hadn't been as busy as it was when she was still very active on the Ladyblog.

It was like Marinette's head had filled up with these thoughts and scenarios, and no one to share it with or bounce back to. Her superhero suit wasn't uplifting anymore, either. At least, it hadn't been since she became the guardian of the miraculous.

She just wanted to feel free every once and a while. Was that too much to ask?

And today was the perfect day for that.

"Let's go out tonight," Ladybug said to Chat once they both had landed on their usual roof.

Her partner raised a brow. "Im-paw-lsive today, are we?"

She rolled her eyes. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I'm talking about how you dove head-on toward the akumatized villain today when you usually like taking in information and coming up with a plan."

With her lips pursed, she shrugged. "We both knew it was going to be a simple victory for us."

"Yeah, but either way, it's fun watching you loosen up every so often."

"What are you trying to imply, Chat?"

"Why, I'm not trying to imply anything, M'lady," he said with a suspicious grin. "I'm just saying, it's a cute side to you I rarely ever get to see."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Do you want to do something or not? We can get ice cream, or play cards on the Eiffel Tower. Oh! We can go see that new superhero film that is most definitely inspired by us."

Chat laughed. "As much as I'd loved to, Bug, and you know how much I enjoy your company, I have important plans tonight."

Ladybug groaned before plopping her butt onto the edge of the roof and crossing her legs. "Why is everyone in my life suddenly so busy?"

"I'm actually not a super busy guy. At least not anymore," Chat said as he sat down beside her. "It's just you asked on the wrong night. I have a party to go to in about..." he paused to look at the time displayed on the screen of his silver staff, "twenty minutes."