Episode 1.8

"Give me a funeral dress."

Much to Jessalyn's dismay, I chose to appear before the king garbed in black to signify the mournful mood I was in. Considering how my past life ended, I was reluctant to marry so soon. Getting engaged at the age of eighteen would've given me nightmares, but now it was just a political move for my family (which should still be concerning). Somehow, my prayers have been answered. The only person who could break the planned engagement between Alden Branigan and I was King Riverty. It was a matter of selecting the lesser of two evils. Either I could live with Alden while hoping he gets killed in the war. Or I marry Prince Elliot, where the threat of murder dwells in the shadows awaiting a moment to strike due to the question of succession. Both options were terrible, but at least I could trust Prince Elliot. At least I hoped so.

After the collision with Prince Elliot, I figured it wouldn't be long until I was summoned by the king. I didn't think it would be as soon as the following morning. The only difference between this meeting and the encounter from yesterday is that my mother would be present. If my mother were present for yesterday's incident, I would be six feet under, but she would be beyond ecstatic once she hears King Riverty's proposal.

King Riverty was just and fair when it came to raising his children, which is why both princes have remained single since their coming of age parties. King Riverty married Queen Genevieve, who was an orphan girl who was adopted by the Valentine family because of her high amount of holy power, which was uncommon for an uneducated commoner to have. She was bright and beautiful, but her health diminished after Prince Elliot's birth. To King Riverty's dismay, his council persuaded him to take a concubine while Queen Genevieve's life dwindled away. It wasn't long before Prince Landon and Princess Clarissa were born. Once Queen Genevieve passed, the king's concubine was named Queen Justine. Because of this, King Riverty has maintained the stance that he will never choose a partner for his children. It didn't take long for Princess Clarissa to find her lifelong partner: Arthur Branigan, Alden's older brother and successor to the duchy. The two were made for each other with their massively inflated hubris.

But there was a much larger issue at hand. Marrying Prince Elliot would imply that he is being supported by the Ravenswood family, which has maintained a neutral stance for generations. Surely, the king understood the implications of this union. It was the main reason my father was vehemently denying King Riverty as politely as he could.

"I thought about it the whole night, and I really think that it would be best if Eli were to marry Lucienne." The only one at the table who seemed excited about this, other than King Riverty, was my mother. "The two of you spent much time together as children. On top of that, young Pierce and Eli have such a great bond. Then I can say that my very best friend and I have joined families." King Riverty was practically glowing at this point. He really did resemble Landon. The two were identical.

"That is not a sufficient reason, your majesty." My father grunted.

"Ah, we're all friends here." King Riverty beamed.

"Andrew. Please provide a better reason." The veins on his forehead seemed to be pulsating. The trainee soldiers are going to see hell when he trains them this afternoon.

When King Riverty realized he wasn't going to get anywhere with my father, he turned to my mother. "Philippa, don't you think this is a brilliant idea? Eli has spent countless days in your care. With this, you will finally be able to call him your son."

Sentimental things like that weren't the way to my mother's heart. It was about power. My mother was a true lady of the court, opposite to my father who was simply a glorified meathead. If it meant it would bring the Ravenswood family prestige, she wouldn't hesitate to grasp the opportunity. "Then she would be Crown Princess Lucienne, would she not?"