Chapter 7: Night one

The sun had set, casting a veil of darkness over the arena. Grace Frost, Norma Levy, and Marquita Little huddled together in the safety of their hidden campsite, a makeshift shelter hidden beneath a dense canopy of trees. They had managed to evade immediate danger during the day, but the night brought a whole new set of challenges.

The trio sat close, their faces illuminated by the soft glow of a small fire they dared to kindle. They knew the risks of drawing attention to themselves, but the warmth and comfort it provided were essential for their survival. Each tribute's weary eyes spoke of exhaustion and the weight of the impending battles they had to face.

Grace, her District 12 uniform dirtied and torn, stared into the dancing flames, lost in thought. The images of fallen tributes from the day's bloodbath flashed before her eyes. She couldn't shake the guilt of surviving while others had perished. Her mind raced with conflicting emotions—fear, determination, and the lingering sadness that threatened to consume her.

Norma, her face etched with worry lines, leaned in closer to Grace, breaking her from her reverie. "We need to be cautious tonight," she whispered, her voice barely audible above the crackling of the fire. "The Careers won't rest, and the arena is full of hidden dangers."

Marquita nodded, her hand tightly gripping a sharpened wooden stake. "We should set up traps around our camp. Anything to deter potential threats."

Grace agreed, her voice filled with determination. "We'll take turns keeping watch. Safety in numbers, and we won't let our guard down."

With their plan set, they divided the night into shifts, their ears attuned to every rustle in the surrounding darkness. The distant howls of mutated creatures and the eerie silence that followed added to the sense of foreboding.

Hours passed, each minute dragging on like an eternity. The weight of exhaustion and the haunting realization that their lives were on the line gnawed at their resolve. But they remained vigilant, their loyalty to one another providing strength amidst the chaos.

Suddenly, a bloodcurdling scream pierced the stillness of the night. It was Porfirio Baird, the District 2 male tribute he found himself ambushed by a group of tributes from District 6 led by Chauncey Lucas, meeting his untimely end. The trio flinched at the sound, a grim reminder that danger lurked in every shadow.

Fear and uncertainty washed over them, threatening to erode their determination. But in that moment, they found solace in each other's presence. They shared a silent vow to fight until the end, to defy the odds stacked against them.

As the night wore on, their weary eyes locked onto the distant stars, offering a glimmer of hope in the midst of despair. They clung to the belief that there was a chance for survival, however slim it might be.

The first night in the Hunger Games had tested their resilience, pushing them to their limits. But Grace, Norma, and Marquita refused to surrender to the darkness that surrounded them. With their hearts filled with a fierce determination to overcome the perils that awaited, they braced themselves for the challenges that the following days would bring.