15: Engagement Party II

Beverly

We sneak away from the kitchen using the back door, navigating through the garden until we reach a brightly lit bar in a secluded corner of the house.

"Two of your strongest concoctions, my good sir," Idia confidently requests, leaning casually against the bar counter.

The bartender, well-versed in the art of mixology, nods in acknowledgment. "Alright ma!"

She swiftly turns her attention back to me, her hands urging me to hurry with the information she craves. "Ehen, he's mixing the drink. Oya."

"Wait first, you're not supposed to be drinking, o. Shey you know?"

"It's my engagement party... keywords: 'party' and 'my.' Let me do what I want, please. Your job is to gist me,"

I take a deep breath, savoring the dramatic pause, as if preparing to reveal the most scandalous secret. "If I'm going to be honest," I finally begin, my voice tinged with intrigue. "Nothing's going on between us, and I don't think anything will ever happen,"

"Why?"

"He works with my ex."

Her eyes widen. "Which one?" she asks, her tone a mix of amusement and concern, eager to delve into the details.

"Ha, ha. Very funny. Like I've had any serious relationship since Zayyad?"

She rolls her eyes, a hiss escaping her lips. "That ozour." [foolish person]

"Okay no... let's not do that today," I quickly interject.

"Why? Wasn't he the idiot that went to marry someone without telling you?" she questions, her tone dripping with protective indignation.

"Yeah, yeah but–" I begin, attempting to offer an explanation.

"But nothing! He fumbled you, and it's none of my concern if he works with Deji, as long as he doesn't come near you and you don't go near him. Wait sef, how did you find out?" Idia probes, her irritation seeping through her words.

I hesitate for a moment. "Um..." I stammer, desperately trying to come up with a convincing story. I must keep the truth hidden, especially the fact that I saw Zayyad in person, encountered him at my store, and even drove to his hotel late at night yesterday. I'm dreading the chain of questions that could lead me to spill information that would strain our friendship, especially if she discovers the secret I've kept from her—the abortion. I never spoke about it to her; I only told her about the marriage part, and ever since, she has resented him for 'breaking' my heart. "Um... we spoke on our way here, and he randomly mentioned it," I finally say.

"Mentioned it as per? A flex, abi what?" she retorts, her irritation morphing her face into a scowl.

"No, he... he mentioned the company, and I knew," I reply, trying to maintain an air of nonchalance.

Her face contorts further, now seething with irritation. "Okay, how does that now stop something from happening between you and Deji? You didn't see Zayyad, Deji only mentioned his company... Come on, is that why you needed a strong drink? For this?"

"I just... I don't know. I don't know how I feel, Idia. I don't want to randomly run into Zayyad, I mean his wife already came to my store, I don't want to accidentally run into her his—"

"So what if you run into him? You're a baddie, and if I were you, I'd even be praying I meet him so he can see what he threw away. He literally threw a diamond and dived to go and marry that trash woman," she exclaims, adding a dash of fiery to her words.