16: Old Circle

Beverly

Idia catches the intensity in my gaze, and her steps falter as she instinctively follows the direction of my sight. I turn to face her, frustration seeping through every word that escapes my lips: "What the fuck?" I utter, my voice dripping with disdain as I let go of Idia's hand, aiming to divert from our initial direction.

"Sis, that's not your man," is her response.

"No, it's not about– It's that hoe and another bitch," I retort, my voice laced with fast-rising anger.

Idia shrugs, her nonchalant demeanor provoking me. "Still not your man. Let's go," she says, attempting to redirect my attention.

A surge of anger courses through me, but I know deep down it's not her fault for reacting this way. I mean moments ago, I was in a mindset of 'I don't care about him that much', and now, my chest is burdened with a strange sensation. It's not entirely jealousy, but more of anger, like this silly bitch resurfaces after that infamous incident at Idia's apartment, where we nearly came to blows, and the first thing she does is step on my manicured toes.

Yes, Deji may not officially be my man, but we arrived at this event together. He specifically asked me to be his date for the night, for a reason. And yet, within mere seconds of my absence, I find him engaged in conversation with other women.

Disappointment doesn't even begin to describe what I'm feeling.

"Calm down, see how you're breathing," Idia chuckles.

"No, I'm pissed that–"

"Ahan, but it's just shags with him, no?"

I shoot her a 'Are you kidding me?' look, my eyes conveying annoyance.

"Wasn't that what you said about two minutes ago?" She defends, "So, if he wants to talk to someone else, then allow h—"

I roll my eyes. "No, you don't get it, of all the people at this party, it's her,"

"Bev, I don't want drama, I'm too stressed today, abeg,"

"For God's sake, I'm not nineteen anymore. I'm not going over there to act like a raving dog. I just want to go and collect him in peace," I explain, my voice strained.

"Collect him? As per cloth?" Idia jibes, attempting to inject humor into the situation.

"That's not funny," I retort sharply, my irritation escalating.

"It's just funny how you want to go and 'collect him' like an abandoned toy another child is playing with— You seem confused, Beverly. Get it together,"

"What do you mean 'get it together'? I am not going to him because I care, I just don't want him talking to that bitch you invited to your party and didn't deem fit to let me know... like what else, is she going to be on your bridal train, too?" I rhetorically question. "You know the history we have but for some reason—"

"Okay, don't piss me off right now," She firmly interjects. "This isn't about me. Don't make it about my invitation. The person who caused the fallout between you two isn't even in your life anymore, you haven't spoken to him in ages. It's been two years, so, what's the big deal if I invited her to my party? " She furrows her brow, her words hitting a nerve within me. "Focus on the confusion you're in. Don't say 'you don't want him', yet you try to control his actions. That's toxic," she asserts, her tone carrying a mix of annoyance and honesty.

"I'm not trying to 'control what he's doing', that's the last thing I give a fuck about. Clara talking to him of all people doesn't sit right with me and it looks like an old circle repeating itself which I'm gonna stop from happening by stepping in, like fuck! Can't you see where I am coming from? Don't vex me, abeg,"