What makes you think you're good enough

Your father is smiling at you. You turn to face King Styles, whose expression is identical to your father's. You were so perplexed since, often, when you return from your "prince hike", your father has a stern expression as if anticipating some sort of outcome. However, today, he appeared pleasant, content, and pleased. Harry was clenching his jaw and staring at his father as you turned to look at him. So you believed it was just you who did not get what was going on.

Harry's eyes seem to lock onto yours, and his face changes to one of total contempt.

"Y/n," King Styles says, you turn your head around to see the older men looking at you, "we are pleased to welcome you to the family."

Then it hit you. He said yes. How? When? Why? He just told you he was in love with another princess, he was with you the whole time, and he just looked at you like you were the ugliest, most horrible thing he has ever seen, then....why? Was this a test of some kind? This was a test. This is a test. THIS IS A TEST!

You wanted to embrace the King! You wanted to embrace the Prince! Everyone could agree that he was quite handsome, and now that you were getting married, you would eventually learn more about him. However, at this moment, you wanted to frantically announce your impending departure to everyone.

You gave the biggest smile you could give and said "The pleasure is all mine." and bowed down.

"We will finalize the date soon, I hope you have a safe journey back home." your father said, as he went in to hug the king.

You turned around to look at your soon to be husband, who was not looking at his feet. You couldn't see his face, so you figured it was out of shyness that he couldn't hold your gaze.

You stepped outside with your father to deliver the two gentlemen to their carriage.

You bowed to Prince Harry as the elder men embraced once more. You expected him to take your hand and kiss it, but he utterly disregarded you and crossed the aisle to board the carriage instead.

You were even more confused, you had no idea as to why he would do such a thing. You had seen your sisters getting proposals, even your past proposals, the princes would always depart by curtly kissing the princess's hand.

You stayed in your place, as you saw the carriage go out of sight. You couldn't rid your mind of the incident that had taken place just before.

A maid arrived to your room later that evening to invite you to dinner. To avoid upsetting your father, you hurry down. You slow down as you draw close to the dining hall. Voices could be heard coming from within. You pause and pay attention. You were always curious since you were the youngest.

"She will need to learn feminine things." your father's voice says

"y/f/n, she is already very feminine, i have taught her well, are you doubting my capabilities?" says your mother's voice

"Well, it took her this long to find a suitor, I can see how appealing she is," he says, sarcasm dripping from his voice. "But I am talking about the duties of a good wife."

You wanted to cry because your own father did not think you were appealing enough to attract a suitor. But you restrain yourself from showing any emotion and move gently inside, and as you do the exchange between your parents ends awkwardly.

You take your designated place at the table, as you are served your food. You mother looks at you and smiles "i am so happy for you y/n, my darling daughter," you father scoffs at this and earns a glaring look from your mother, she turns to face you once more and continues "prince Harry will take great care of you, don't you worry, he is a lovely boy." she seems very happy when she says that, you look at her with a puzzled look, how does she even know? Because according to you, he has just been rude this entire evening, the only nice thing he has done is actually agree to marry, by secretly telling his father. Your mother seems to understand your confusion and says "oh! Don't you remember!? As children you both used to always meet, and be stuck together! His mother and I are great friends!"

You have no recollection of this, absolutely none. That is when your father speaks up " they were months old when they last met y/m/n! How is she to remember? And you were never stuck to each other." he snorts as he says this. You didn't say anything, and continued eating dinner.

You dreaded meal time, not because of the food, you absolutely loved food, but you and to endure your parents and their constant jabbing at each other. They were never happy, always had to contradict one another for everything. As a child you remember how dreadful carriage rides used to be, with both your parents always bickering about something or the other. And as your sisters left one by one, you felt sad, and lonely, but most of all, you felt scared. Previously, your father had raised his hand on you, in order to "discipline" you when you had done something he didn't like, but you knew it was mostly because he was upset due to something your mother had said. But as you grew up, the torture came to a stop. You were a lady now, ready for marriage, and no prince would want a bruised wife.

You quickly finished your dinner, and excused yourself from the table. You made a beeline straight to your chambers, and started writing a letter to your sisters.

You were at your last letter, when you heard a faint knock, you reached for the door to open them, and when you did, you saw your mother standing there.

"Y/n, i need to talk to you." she says in a kind, yet serious tone. You give way for her to enter your room.

She sits on your bed and gestures for you to do the same.

"y/n, you are now old enough to have this conversation, i had this with all your sisters before they got married." she started, i figured this was the 'duties of a good wife' conversation, so listened intently.

"Once you get married, it is your duty to make your husband happy, and give him whatever it is that he needs, you need to tend to him first, no matter what, and once the wedding ceremony is over, you both would want to consummate the marriage," oh, Oh! This is what this conversation is about. "And when you do, you need to know that it might not always be pleasurable for you, but as long as your husband seems to be content with it, you know that you are being a good wife. And not just in this aspect Y/n, but in every, you always need to put his needs before yours."

You really did not want to have this conversation, but as it progressed, your mind wandered off, to him. You imagined how he would look, how his touch would be, what his voice would sound like so close to you. How he would feel.