CHAPTER 42: ALEXA... AGAIN

ALEXA'S POV

"Maite, let me explain..."

"You lied to me!" she walks towards the living room. "You're Xander's sister!"

"Maite..."

"What do you want? What did you want?" she snaps and I go silent.

She's right! What did I want?

"To see you." I tell her. That much is true.

"See me?" Maite grimaces.

"I'm sorry! I'm confused here. What is going on?" Diego asks. He does look confused.

Dear God! Why do I have a feeling that this would go wrong in every way possible?

"Maite. Let me explain." I try yet again.

"So you and your brother are liars. You lie your way into people's lives." Maite snarls.

"That's not it! My brother is not like that." I feel hurt.

"Then what is he like? You come here and lie to me. You tell me Griselda is your aunt."

"Technically she is." Amira says grinning. "Since Griselda is Hilda's sister..."

"Oh, fuck off!" I snap at her.

"You, fuck off!" Maite tells me and takes me off guard. "Liar! Cheat!"

"Maite!" my voice breaks.

"What? Did Xander send you? He couldn't face me himself?"

"You wouldn't even pick up his calls."

"And I don't plan to. I realize the two of you are just manipulative." she says. "You really are twins."

"No. He... he does even know I'm here... he... he loves you."

"Loves me?" her voice is filled with disbelief.

"You said you loved him too." I defend.

"Is that what you were trying to extract from me? If I love him?" she says. "Is that why you gained my trust so that I can pour my heart out, tell you everything as you pretend to be a stranger and as we were drinking the other night?"

"No! No please!" I go to her. "That's not what I wanted." I hold her hands.

"Don't touch me!"

A slap makes me back away in a gasp, shocked. I turn to look at her. She slapped me.

"Okay. Maybe we should all calm down." Diego intervenes.

"I see you've managed to seduce yourself to my doctor too. Did Xander tell you to do that as well?" Maite asks.

My heart breaks, literally. "Maite!" a tear slides down my cheek.

"Hey, there's no need for you to say that." Diego tells her.

"I want you to leave! Go away!" Maite tells me.

"I didn't mean to." my voice breaks again. "I just wanted to meet you."

I've never felt like this in my entire life. It's like Xander scorning me and he has never done that.

"Go away! I don't want you here." Maite cries.

"I'm so sorry! Please don't be mad at Xander... he has no part in this..."

"Leave!" Maite says.

"Hey! Shhh!" Amira calms her and then looks at me. "I guess the blonde didn't manage to change the resemblance."

I release a breath and turn to look at Maite who has turned away. I can't be here. I ruined it.

I turn and run off to my room, feeling my heartbeat in my throat.