Chapter 3

Third pov.

Yao Liwei and his kids entered the hospital room Xiulan was in. He bit back his tears when he saw her prone form on the bed. She was connected to all those tubes with her face so pale. Liwei held her hand and buried his face into her stomach lightly. The triplets surrounded the bed and their eyes were glassy. The room was silent mixed with sobs now and then.

Minutes passed by and then faint whispers were heard outside the door. Suddenly, the door opened and an elderly man walked in. His steps were silent and his cane tapped against the floor. However, one thing everyone noticed was his face. 

His facial features resembled Xiulan's. They had the same silvery grey eyes, sharp jawline, and high cheekbone. Suddenly, a memory hit Liwei, he knows this man. This man showed up during his wife's funeral along with another man. This man was the one who stared at him with disdain and very cold eyes. 

Arcturus entered the room and immediately saw Xiulan on the bed. "How is she?", he said coldly. " T-The patient is now in a coma with no chances of waking up." the nurse trembled as she replied.

"Who are you sir?" asked Yao Yu. He deduced that the old man is related to them somehow. He's not an idiot; it doesn't take a scientist to know that. Yao Xieren and Yao Yojun nodded in unison with curious eyes directed at Arcturus. 

The Lord Black glanced down at them and replied "I am Arcturus Black and I am Lycoris' grandfather." Yao Liwei and the children stared at him wide eyed and shocked. None of them knew that Xiulan had any other relatives. 

"Now, which one of you can tell me what happened to my granddaughter" demanded Arcturus. His patience was thinning and his temper was slowly rising. He could tell that Xiulan was not in good condition and it didn't help that no one was giving him clear answers.

Either way, he'll get the information he wants. 'After all' Arcturus smirked 'Blacks always get what they want.' 

Liwei looked at his grandfather-in-law and explained the situation. He recounted how he rushed home and saw her attempted suicide. He decided to leave out the events that lead to it in the first place. 

As Liwei spoke, Arcturus was stoic showing no emotion until the end. He knew that there was more to the story but put that aside for now. Luckily, there was a sample of the potion collected by the doctor. The sample indicated that it was a very specific poison only found in the Black family grimore.

'Lycoris must have thought that cutting ties with us meant that she would succeed in killing herself. After all, no one has encountered her after all these years, so I won't know until it was too late.' mused Arcturus.

After the explanation, Arcturus stayed silent before looking at Liwei. "I know how to wake her up." He stated. 

Liwei and the triplets' eyes lit up. 

"However, it will not be easy." said Arcturus. "And you will have to play a part in this" he stated.

Liwei was desperate at this point and the knowledge of an existing cure gave him hope. 'My wife WILL wake up. She can't stay this way. I won't allow it! I'll do anything' he thought crazily.

Unknown to him, Arcturus saw the madness in his eyes and became interested. 'Hmm.. it seems you're not as you seem. Let's see where that madness takes you.'