4

Declan set his plate with the chicken bones aside, then moved it closer to Wolstan when Luella sniffed after it. "Those aren't for you; you'll choke and die."

Luella huffed and grumbled.

Declan shook his head and patted the grass near his right hip, "Uh-uh, leave 'em be. Sit—Wooly, get those bones of mine, would you? She isn't gonna listen to a word I say until they're gone."

She looked at the plate, softly whined as Wolstan picked it up and moved it out of view, then turned back at him, her droopy eyes twitching in a silent plea for mercy.

"Not a chance, girl."

"I have some dried trout she can have," Wren said as she stood and smoothed her skirt, drawing Declan's gaze. "If you don't mind me givin' it to her?"

Declan shook his head, "Not at all. Anything that'll get her mind off these bones is fine by me."

"All right, I'll hurry back," she smiled, tripping over the quilt in her rush.

He was on his feet with arms outstretched to stop her from falling before he realized he'd moved.

However, his chivalrous reflexes were unnecessary because Wren caught her balance, gathered her skirts, and shot off at a dead run.

"You get stung?" Wooly murmured as he tore into a drumstick, a teasing glint in his eyes.

Declan scowled and motioned to the empty spot of grass where Wren had almost fallen and hissed, "No, she tripped."

"So that was a moment of gallantry I just witnessed?"

"Yep."

Wolstan finished eating his drumstick, tossed the bone on his plate, picked up another, and said, "I never knew you were so spry. Or courteous."

Declan scoffed and laid down beside Luella, sprawling out so the sun would have a better chance of drying his sopping wet clothes, "Neither did I."

"I think I'll go lie down," Mae murmured, wiping her mouth with a napkin and setting her plate on the quilt.

Wolstan turned to her in concern. "You feeling all right?"

"Do I need to go jump in the pond again?" Declan asked, raising onto his elbows.

"I appreciate the offer," She replied with a small smile as she stood, briefly looking at Declan before settling her attention on her husband, "but I think I'm tired more than anything now."

Wolstan put his plate next to Mae's, rose to his full height, and then took her left hand in his. "I'll help you settle in."

"That's awful kind of you," Mae murmured, smiling.

"Someone needs to make sure you get up the ladder without any trouble," he replied with a rakish wink that had Declan rolling his eyes and laying down flat so he wouldn't have to look at the two of them radiating their love for one another any longer.

"You gonna help me unload the rest of the wagon?" Declan asked as Wolstan and Mae walked past. "Once you've assured yourself your wife's safe and secure in the loft, of course."

"Depends."

"On what?" Declan frowned.

Wolstan lifted his shoulders in a negligent shrug, "Going up and down the ladder is exhausting. I may be plumb tuckered out and require a nap before rejoining you."

"That ladder can't be more'n eight feet tall," Declan grumbled.

"Then there's the freshening up," Wolstan continued as he turned to Mae. "How much time you think I'll need? Thirty minutes?"