8

A ragged cry born of heartbreak, outrage, shock, and disbelief tore from Wren's throat at watching through the front parlor window as Chet galloped toward town on his Appaloosa mare at a breakneck speed after shooting at Declan and Wolstan. She stood momentarily paralyzed between running to them or racing to her mama in the backyard until they moved.

Then with a tearful glance at Emmaline, Wren gathered her skirts, raced outside through the kitchen door, leaped off the porch, and stumbled to her knees at Nessie's side as a mournful wail escaped her upon finding her mama in the same prone position as when Chet first shot her.

Choking on a broken sob, Wren gently rolled Nessie onto her back and held her breath as she pressed her ear to her mama's chest, straining to find a heartbeat.

But there was nothing. And with its absence came the cold realization Wren had tried so hard to deny with every passing second that she hadn't seen Nessie move—her mama was dead.

Tears blurred Wren's vision, falling unheeded down her face as she dragged Nessie's upper body as far as she could on her lap, then cradled her in her arms, buried her face in the crook of her mama's neck, and wept.

"Wren, honey," Emmaline softly said, her voice thick with emotion as she knelt beside her and laid a comforting hand on Wren's left shoulder. "Eldon is asking for you; why don't you go see him... let him know you're all right while the boys carry your mama inside before they find your daddy and tell him what's happened? Then, Mae and I'll get her cleaned up so you can all spend some time with her?"

Wren lifted her head to meet Emmaline's mournful gaze and found Wolstan, Declan, and Mae standing a few feet behind her, looking like three battle-worn sentinels with concern and sympathy shining in their eyes.

It somehow heightened Wren's misery and soothed enough of her heartache to allow her fingers to unclench from her mama's dress, though the instant Wolstan knelt in front of her and stood with Nessie's limp corpse cradled against his chest, Wren buried her face in her hands and sobbed anew.

"Need any help?" Declan murmured as he stepped forward.

"No, I've got her," Wolstan softly replied.

"Oh, honey," Emmaline brokenly crooned, wrapping Wren in a tight embrace.

After a moment, Wren pulled back and looked at Emmaline as she wiped at the tears cascading down her face and sniffled, "Where's Eldon?"

"In the cabin," she said, "Emerson's with him tending to his wound."

Wren's chin wobbled, and a fresh wave of tears blurred her vision. "What do I tell him?"

Emmaline wiped them away with her thumbs when they spilled from her lashes, heedless of the tears falling from her own eyes as she quietly said, "The truth, honey—that his mama loved him more than life itself and was only trying to protect him."

Wren choked back a sob, staring at the old cabin before she attempted to stand.

"Here," Declan mumbled, holding his left hand to Wren, "let me help you up."

Her gaze flitted from the streaks of dried blood and dirt marring his palm to the bloody cloth wrapped around the upper swell of his right arm near his shoulder, then his eyes and the turbulent mix of emotions shining in their bright blue depths that called to her soul, and without giving it a second thought, she settled her hand in his and allowed him to assist her to her feet.

"I'm gonna go help Mae take care of your mama," Emmaline gently whispered, pulling Wren close in a hug and kissing her right cheek. "And the boys will find your daddy and brother, so they know what's happened... all right?"