Chapter Eleven

Michael woke the next day to Jim bringing breakfast into the room. He hadn't slept much, and it was still early. His brain was exerted from the pill, and the writing. He had written for hours, trying to figure out a way to bring the feeling back. He had a splitting headache. It felt like he had drank too much. He hoped this wouldn't happen every time he took it.

Jim wheeled the cart in as usual, but stopped and stared at the cage on the desk. He didn't seem to think the rat was very cute. Michael chuckled inside, but his head throbbed worse.

"Looks like you got a pet?" Jim said curiously. Michael could tell that he didn't approve.

"Courtesy of the General, a rat in a cage, for his own rat in a cage." Michael said, looking over to the desk where it sat.

Jim walked over and looked inside.

"I'm more of a dog person... Hell, I'd take a cat." Jim said, eyeing the rat like it was going to pull the bars of the cage apart and attack him.

"Oh come on, Jim. He's just a little animal. You're an animal, Jim. I'm an animal. He just happens to be smaller, furrier and have a tail." Michael said, he got up off his bed, opened up the cage and picked up his pet.

"His name is Blanco, Jim, say hi." Michael picked up the rat, and held him in his left hand, while petting it's back with his right. The little thing was so calm, Michael was amazed. It seemed to feel comfortable in his grasp. It senses that I won't hurt it.

"I like his colour. He was one of the lab rats, wasn't he?" Jim asked.

"He was. I think the General gave him to me to drill in the point that I'm no different that a lab rat now." Michael said.

"Yikes. Man, that is a special way of being cruel... The man has a talent for it. Does it bother you?" Jim asked. He looked like he felt bad for Michael.

"The opposite." Michael stated. "I'm an animal person, and it isn't Blanco's fault." Michael told him. Blanco ran down his arm, and MIchael scooped him back up with his other hand, and put him back in his cage. He took a piece of ham from his breakfast plate and put it inside the cage. Blanco's his little hands picked it up and his little teeth nibbled away, chattering quickly.

Michael looked back over at Jim, who looked appalled that the little mouse would get the best part of the meal he'd made.

"Sorry, nobody left any food for him, and he hasn't eaten all night." Michael said, knowing Jim had cooked the ham and seeing the look on his face when he gave it away. Jim's face turned to a smile.

"He's going to like you, I can tell." He grinned. "Sorry if I woke you up. I was told you wouldn't need dinner last night, so they sent me early with breakfast."

"It's no problem. I could go for some breakfast anyways. Not feeling the greatest today." Michael sat up and Jim wheeled the cart into the room. Breakfast was poached eggs, cereal with milk, buttered toast, the ham which Michael had given to Blanco, an apple, and orange juice to wash it all down. Michael devoured a few bites of the eggs with toast before he started any conversing.

"It's good, thank you." Michael said, with his mouth still half full.

"Thanks. Why aren't you feeling good? The General didn't forget his whiskey in here, did he?" Jim laughed as he inquired.

"I wish, but no. Yesterday was the first test..." Jim's humour was lost on Michael today.

"First test? And he gave you that rat right after, that's something else... " Jim looked surprised, but changed the subject. "So, you took it?"