Prologue: Lost

As the Italian sun dipped below the horizon, casting its final golden glow on the beach, I knew it was time to say goodbye to the shores of Sampieri for the day and return to our cozy beach cottage just a short walk away.

Sicily had become more than just a destination for me; it had become a sanctuary. It was a place where time stood still, and worries melted like sand between my toes. Since the age of four, it had become a treasured tradition to spend each summer in this idyllic place, a holiday that would usually coincide perfectly with my birthday on the thirty-first of August.

But this year, our flight home fell on my birthday to ensure we would make it back for the start of the new school year. A heavy sigh escaped my lips at the realisation that we only had two short days before our departure. With a lingering gaze on the fading sun, I etched the memory into my mind to sustain me for the year.

I turned on my heel and climbed the worn cobblestone steps, each one urging my closer to the haven of cherished memories that was our cottage. But as I approached the weathered blue door, anticipation was replaced by an unsettling feeling.

Something was off.

I pushed the door open, expecting the familiar embrace of my mother's warmth, but instead, I was met with a sight that made my heart drop. My beautiful mother, her fiery auburn hair now dishevelled, and her usually vibrant green eyes clouded with fear. This wasn't the composed and nurturing figure I knew. She trembled before me, and a chill ran down my spine.

My gaze shifted to the corner of the room, where two boxes stood packed and ready, alongside our packed suitcases. Confusion and worry mingled in my mind, urging me to understand the unfolding chaos. What had happened in my absence? The knot of unease tightened in my stomach, surpassing the fading warmth of the afternoon sun.

Summoning the courage, I cautiously approached my mother, my voice barely a whisper in the tense air. "Mum," I called out, my words tinged with concern. "What's going on?"

Her gaze flickered to me from where she was hastily taping a cardboard box in the kitchen, a mix of desperation and determination in her eyes. She hurried over, gripping my hand tightly, her touch both reassuring and trembling.

"They found us," she confessed in a hushed voice, her words laced with fear, before guiding me toward the boxes.

A surge of panic washed over me, and I struggled to grasp the magnitude of her words. "Found?" I stumbled, my voice betraying my confusion.

Her response was swift and urgent. "Help me bring these boxes to the car," she commanded, her focus unwavering. Ignoring my questions, she ushered me to the task at hand, pushing open the door and hurrying outside.

"Mum!" I called out, grasping her arm to halt her frantic movements. She turned to me, surprise flickering across her face, as if realizing the distress she had caused. "Tell me what's going on," I pleaded, my voice tinged with a mix of fear and determination.

Her touch gentled, cupping my cheek briefly before reality forced its way back into her gaze. "I'll explain later, but you have to do what I say."

At my silent acknowledgement, she continued hastily gathering our bags, stuffing them into boot of our car with a sense of urgency. Adrenaline surged through my veins as I fastened my belt in a car whose engine was already humming with anticipation. We had sped from the driveway before I could have uttered another word.

My mind was unable to process the unfolding chaos, the reality of the situation eluding my grasp, becoming a whirlwind of jumbled thoughts and fragmented images. Amidst the chaos, I could only hold onto fragments of my mother's voice.