Chapter 6 - Birthday (Pt. 2)

Blinking away the remnants of sleep, I stretched and yawned, realizing that I must have fallen asleep after the antics of earlier in the morning. As I glanced at the clock on my bedside table, my eyes widened in surprise. It was already past noon, and I had slept through the entire morning.

Excitement surged through me as I hopped out of bed, eager to embrace the day that marked my first year as a teenager. However, beneath that bubbling enthusiasm, a deep sadness tugged at my heart; my mum wasn't here to celebrate with me. It cast a dark shadow over the day.

I pushed the sorrow away, repeating a mantra in my mind: Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it.

With renewed determination, I slipped into a cozy outfit—a pair of black leggings and an oversized tee in a golden hue, adorned with the words "hello sunshine" in playful print. It was another gift from Jackson, a small gesture of thoughtfulness that warmed my heart. Maybe if I smiled as brightly as that cheerful sun on my shirt, I would start to feel the warmth within.

As I made my way downstairs, the house seemed unusually quiet. I strolled through the corridors, my footsteps echoing softly against the walls. Finally, I reached the kitchen, and what I saw before me caused my heart to skip a beat.

The entire kitchen was transformed into a birthday wonderland. Vibrant birthday banners hung from the walls, with colorful balloons dancing in every corner. The table was covered in a cupcake tablecloth, with a tray of little sandwiches and a dome-covered cake stand.

But it was the presence of two figures engaged in a lively argument that truly captured my attention. Cole and Harley stood by the counter, voices animated.

Arms crossed defiantly, Cole declared, "No one willingly includes vegetables in a cake, especially not on their birthday."

"Fortunately for you, it's not your birthday," Harley shot back.

"Fortunately for Maddie, I made alternative arrangements."

A mischievous smile played on Cole's lips as he walked over to the dome-covered cake stand at the center of the table. With a flourish, he unveiled a double-tiered chocolate cake, that screamed indulgence.

The look of astonishment mixed with disappointment on Harley's face was priceless, if not slightly heartbreaking.

"What about the carrot cake?"

Cole's reply was simple and unforgiving, "I tossed it."

A pang of sadness resonated within me at the sight of Harley's wounded expression. He looked like a puppy whose favorite toy had just been ripped away.

"Cole! You can't just throw someone else's cake away!" I blurted out.

Both of their heads turned toward me in unison, their eyes locking onto mine.

Cole's eyes dancing with amusement. "You don't actually want vegetables on your birthday, do you?"

"But Harley made it," I said softly, my voice tinged with disappointment.

Cole rolled his eyes but disappeared into the cupboard, reemerging with a glass container. This time, he revealed the precious carrot cake, salvaged from its near demise. "I'm not a monster," he said.

Relief flooded over me, accompanied by a blossoming grin.

Harley shook his head in exasperation, a wry smile tugging at his lips. He approached, enveloping me in a warm embrace.

"Happy birthday, honey," he whispered, his voice brimming with affection.

When he pulled away, I looked around the kitchen, taking in all the decorations for a second time with wonder.