Backed Into a Corner

|Adam's POV|

Learning that Rhea was talking to her mother was the last thing that I wanted to hear. Don't get me wrong, I knew the day would come, but I wasn't expecting it to be so soon. Selfishly, I wished Rhea would never talk to her mother again, but that's not reality. I couldn't stand Lisa and all that she's done to Rhea over the years made my blood boil just thinking about it.

I get it, I was an asshole. I did her wrong. Still, I've apologized, even tried to be friends for Rhea's sake if nothing else. Lisa didn't want that. We couldn't even be cordial in Rhea's presence without her bringing up the past.

Hearing what Rhea said to me, it was like looking at a mini Lisa and that wasn't going to fly with me. I'm all for my daughter speaking her mind, but respect is respect. You don't throw stones and expect no consequences.

We spent the day together, extensively talking and trying to come up with a game plan on how to move forward. My daughter had a lot of anger inside of her, understandably so. I just want to really take this therapy seriously and not just when she feels like going. I've just been leaving her be and hoping that things would change as time went on.

Things don't really change unless you put in the time and effort. Rhea needs Beth and I more than ever to show her that we're here and we're not going anywhere. She needs us to be in her corner, guide her, correct her when she's wrong, and give her the security she's never had.

Today is the day I'm meeting with her principal and guidance counselors. While Rhea is an exemplary student, I know that her attitude can get her in trouble. We walked through the front doors together.

"Have a good day. I'll see you later," I said to her.

"Yeah, later," she mumbled.

I watched as she headed down the hall, stopping by the lockers to talk to who I presumed were her friends. Heading into the office, I was seated momentarily by the secretary before I headed into the principal's office.

"Mr. Copeland, it's so good to see you," Principal Harvey greeted.

"Good to see you as well, Principal Harvey. Good morning Dr. Ross," I greeted.

I shook both of their hands before taking a seat.

Well, let's get right to it, shall we? After reviewing Rhea's grades, we are very impressed with how well she's excelling being that she started a couple of months later into the school year. She's caught up on all her work and her grades are all As and Bs, minus two classes. Recently, Rhea has struggled in math, but hasn't attended any tutoring sessions," Dr. Ross stated.

I looked at them confused. None of this was on my radar and I was generally on top of Rhea's grades.

"Rhea excelling in all areas is a priority to both my wife and I and we will assure that Rhea is tutored. I had no knowledge of her grade starting to decline. When are the tutoring sessions?"

Dr. Ross nodded and she gave me a smile.

"Generally, they are after school or during lunch and free periods. Rhea has been offered all 3 options and while it's voluntary, it would be beneficial to her."

I simply nodded.

"When her math teacher approached her about it, it became a power struggle. Rhea was sent to both of our offices, very upset. We were able to talk it out and she was sent to her next class. Oddly enough, that class happened to be gym and currently, Rhea is failing that class."

Failing gym? Wait what?

"I want to note here that Rhea had health when she first started so gym is new to her schedule," Dr. Ross stated.