Chapter One

For some, the In-between was a desolate and melancholic realm; for others it served as a passage between courts; for Tise and her comrades, it was a haven of wonder and thrills, a paradise of excitement and adventure.

At the very spot where the mighty River Bircier turned towards the Seelie court, they lurked in silence, patiently waiting for their next unsuspecting victim. During the day, countless fairies fluttered across the river's shimmering surface, but only the lucky (or unlucky) received a small surprise.

Tise was never one to seek out trouble, but ever since her arrival in the In-between, she found herself drawn to the thrill it offered, not because they were not under the rules of division between courts, but because, naturally, that area was characterized by change, by being unpredictable. And the difference to add, was that it was already her home, so she acted like the fairies did there. No memory was powerful enough to stop her, to remind her of the life she led before he rescued her.

Crouched in the shadow of a gnarled oak, something old and rotten, she lingered ever-vigilant, straining to follow the instructions of her companions.

"Who shall we surprise?" asked a Will O'Wisp, Nigta, with a mischievous glint in her eyes as Tise pulled at a rope with an assortment of stones tied at the other end.

When the weighty load of stones caught up with her, she sent the signal across the clearing with the help of a broken mirror shard and the rays of sun. In response, a faint silver light shone back.

"I don't know," Tise confessed without heaviness and importance while taking out the rocks of the woven sack of moldy lianas tied at the end of the rope, "we will decide when it comes, but in the meantime..."

Once she had all the rocks piled up by her side, she threw the sack back to the ground, where a Gnome, Sav, was ready to catch it.

"I hate not knowing," Nigta confessed as her light flickered. "But you must know something, right?" she stopped and her light shone brighter for a second. "If not, why is Sav on the ground?"

Tise carefully positioned several rocks within a crevice in the ancient tree trunk, before striding forth, eyeing out Sav as she did.

"Even if we knew it, Sav is always going to be in charge of the area on the floor."

Nigta stopped hovering and landed cross legged on a rock, which was so small and yet seemed so large in contrast to her minuscule body.

"Well, that's not comforting. If everyone else thinks he's useless, I can't even begin to imagine what you all think of me."

"Don't take it to heart, this isn't important anyway."

Tise wanted to tell Nigta what exactly she was useful for, yet more often than not, her presence was sought solely for her light and company.

"Well, for once I wish I was taller," Nigta rested her tiny arm (even smaller than Tise's) over one leg so she could rest her head. "Maybe... maybe I can..."

"Oh no, here we go again."

"No, Tise, it's true, I don't lose anything trying."

"Nigta," Tise began, "you are perfect as you are. Have you heard the price of such wishes?" She recalled the many stories that she had heard about fae's being deceived by their ambitious neighbor when bargaining. "Maybe your wish will turn you into a bug just for fun."

"That is impossible, it would be the opposite of my wish."

"You never know," Tise raised a finger and Nigta waited a few seconds before high-fiving her.

Having had that unexpected talk, Tise, with what little help Nigta could offer, began to resume her work: wedging stones into the crevices of the tree, so they'd tumble down its hollow core. Once that was done, the pair descended to where Sav eagerly awaited.