chapter one

"Alma let's go!" A sharp voice snapped from across the corridor. The petite 8 year old girl quietly glanced up at the much taller boy in front of her. "Come on! Your book can wait!" He smiled as he grabbed her up off the chair. Alma giggled delightfully "Jack I just had one page left!" She mockingly sighed.

"Well it's going to be dark soon!" He took her hand gently. "We have to run into town, mom said we need some eggs for supper tonight." He grabbed his coat, then handed the Ravenette hers.

"Is Myron coming?" Alma asked as she swiped a strand of hair out of her face.

"No, he doesn't feel well." Jack said as he opened the door. Alma nodded, a bit more excited as Jack closed the door behind her than before. Now that they were alone, she knew they could really talk.

"I'll race you down!" Jack yelled. Alma's Forest green eyes lit up in the crescent moonlight. She bolted down the rocky trail away from the quaint cottage, Jack trailing behind. He chuckled as he watched her go. After Alma got her head start, Jack was able to quickly catch up, startling her into running more. Within seconds they were both deep within the forest, both stopping at a twisted willow tree.

" Can you do the thing?" Alma gasped for breath, bouncing on her toes "Please?!"

"The thing?" Jack asked, looking around the surrounding area for people "if anyone sees...." He muttered, turning back to Alma. The coast looked nearly clear except for the lighting bugs illuminating the fall air.

"Alright....we gotta be quick though." He whispered as he placed her on a huge boulder. Alma gleefully bounced her legs, watching jack step into a small glimpse of the moonlight through the trees. Alma watched intently as he shut his eyes, leaping into the air. Within moments he was soaring around the forest, nearly loosing sight of Alma as she clapped for him.

"She's so excited... It's so sweet." Jack commented as he landed gracefully beside her. He enjoyed his little trick, his little show he could put on for his sister.

"Birdie!" Alma commented petting his head. Jack hopped closer, getting closer as he ruffled his feathers up, preening his tail feathers while Alma watched.

"What are you-?" She tilted her head to the side, but paused as Jack pulled out on of his tail feathers, placing it on her lap.

"For me?" She asked, examining the long feather. "Thank you!" Alma smiled as she tucked it into her hair. Jack nodded, hopping down to his clothing that was strewn about. Alma turned away, giving her brother some privacy, all the while examining the feather.

"All done!" He said as he finished buckling up his shoes. "Alma?" He asked, stepped closer "hey, we gotta get going." He lightly tapped her shoulder.

"Jack?" Alma asked curiously, shifting herself to look at him. "Do you think I could ever be like you?" She asked, holding the feather up. "Like a birdie?"

"Well.....I don't really know." He answered honestly. Jack wouldn't of have discovered that he could do it himself if it wasn't for his own silly daydreaming one day on a trip home from the butcher for his parents. His father ridiculed him all the time for his small spouts of daydreaming off into space, but Jack found it incredibly relaxing to be able to gaze off into the sky and loose yourself in it.

At first Jack didn't even believe it himself. For three days he remained paranoid he had been cursed by a miss Snow, the town's widowed hag that part timed as a witch that the parents threatened thier children with if they dared misbehave. After four days he finally told Alma, deciding she was young enough that if she did slip up it would be chalked up to her imagination, plus he had to get it off his chest.