The Resurrection

"Justice, like lightning should never appear
To some men, hope and to other men fear."

My father taught me that poem when I was just a little kid. I didn't fully understand the poem until I grew to know the truth about my family and myself.

The signs were always there, but this is how the journey began.
____________________________________

Me, dad, and Jennifer were waiting in the police department because apparently, Anissa got arrested at a "peaceful" rally.

While we were waiting, I listened to the news broadcast talk about the 100 gang and Black Lightning, a superhero who mysteriously disappeared nine years ago.

"Dad?" Anissa said when she was released.

Dad kinda just ignored her and left to go to the car. She turned to look at us and looked at what Jen was wearing.

"That's my dress," she stated.

"Oh, yeah," Jennifer said before grabbing the other dress that was in the chair and handing it to Anissa. "So is this one."

"Hurry up and put it on before dad gives birth to a small farm animal," I joked.
____________________________________

Once Anissa got dressed, we left the police department and started making our way to the school for the fundraiser they were holding.

While in the car, dad and Anissa were arguing with each other while Jen and I were texting on our phones, her texting Keisha and me texting Khalil.

(Text convo, K= Khalil, L= Leon)

K: Wyd

L: Heading to the school for the fundraiser

K: Oh, you coming over later?

Before I could reply, I heard a police siren and dad pull the car over.

"Dad, what's going on?" Anissa asked.

"Just be calm," Dad said.

Two police officers came over to the car, and one flashed his flashlight in the back seat, blinding Jennifer and me.

"Let me handle this," Dad said to us, but Jen pulled out her phone and put the flash on to blind the officer back.

"Yeah, this doesn't feel so good, does it?" Jen taunted.

"Jennifer!" Dad yelled, making her put her phone down.

Dad tried to reason with the officer that was on his side, but he wouldn't listen. He made dad get out of the car and roughed him up as he handcuffed him.

"Hey! What are you doing?" I exclaimed at the cop.

"Get your hands off my dad!" Jennifer also exclaimed right after me.

Jen tried to open the door, but the cop that was on her side kicked the door back in and pulled out his gun, and pointed it at us.

"Let me see your hands! Now!" The officer with the gun yelled at us.

"Stop! Don't shoot, all right? Everybody, just calm down!" Dad said.