LaWanda: The Book of Hope

A/N: I decided to put episodes 2-3 in this chapter to make it longer.
********************************

Because of everything that happened, mom decided that Jen and I could stay home from school today. Although she only really allowed Jennifer to stay, I kinda persuaded her to allow me to stay too.

We were outside, sitting on the steps, enjoying the fresh air, and on FaceTime with Khalil.

"We're all worried about you. You good?" Khalil said to Jennifer.

"Yeah, I'm good," Jen responded back.

"Look, it's like Fort Knox at school. There's security everywhere. When are y'all coming back?" Khalil asked.

"I don't really know," Jennifer said.

"I'll likely be back the next day, knowing how mom is," I said, but flinched as I got a smack on the back of my head from said person.

"Can I come by after?" Khalil asked me after laughing at my misfortune.

"Maybe tomorrow," I told him.

"Alright," he said.

"Y'all want to buy some candy?" Some kid asked as he came up to us.

"Hey, we'll talk later, Khalil," I said to as I ended the FaceTime.

"What you got, little man?" Jen asked.

"Lala says hi," the boy shouted as he took out a water gun and sprayed Jen with some red dye before running away.

**************

The next night, Jen and I were sitting outside on the roof smoking a little bit of weed when Khalil poked his head through my bedroom window.

"Ooh. I'm sorry," Khalil said as he noticed Jen hid the joint. "It's good to see you, girl."

"It's good to see you too," Jen said.

"Aight, so... so, Black Lightning? I mean, you saw Black Lightning?Girl, that... Yo, that is pretty cool," Khalil said excitedly.

"Yeah, I was kind of scared because when you try and
look at his face, it hurts. I don't know. It's like looking into a spotlight," Jen explained to us.

"It's still pretty cool. You met a superhero! Who else can say that," I said excitedly while the other two laughed at me. "Sorry, it's just you guys know I'm basically a comic book nerd."

"What? Really? We had no idea," Jennifer said with heavy sarcasm as Khalil chuckled.

"You know what, screw you guys. I'm going to my room," I said.

Before I could get up, Khalil pulled me back down.

"Relax, Le, we're just teasing you," he said. "Besides, there's something I want to talk about with you."

"That's my cue to leave," Jen said, getting up and going into her room before closing her window.

"So, what is it that you want to talk about?" I asked him.

"Alright, so, you know we've been friends for a long time," I nodded to what he was saying. "I thought that maybe you'd like to be my boyfriend?"

I was shocked and surprised. I didn't think Khalil liked me in that way at all. I would've thought he would ask out Jen instead.

"Uh, Le, you're kinda making me nervous. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything," Khalil said, breaking me from my thoughts.

"No, uh, it's just, you surprised me, but to answer your question, yes," I said with a smile.