Chapter 5 - The Visitor

It all made sense to her now; though only to increase her puzzlement.

Lest, Lane, Baze, Hase, Zchel, Mel.

It all made sense.

Her nickname was present, Zchel must be Zchelea's nickname and Hase surely be Hason's—since he claimed the teddy bear was once his.

But what about the others? Could they all be her biological brothers?

Melora shook her head as she continued to think. Absolutely not! She thought. She couldn't even think about having a lot of siblings. They must be our cousins... but what of Hason? Is he a cousin too? Possibly, he could only be a cousin brother because Dorothy only mentioned a sister. Dorothy would have told her if she had brothers too, right?

Melora felt her temples throbbing as she continued to think, which only made her more confused and desperate to find the answers to all of the questions in her head. She asked Anatole whether Zchelea had told her anything else about herself and Anatole told her that her name was Zchelea Furning.

That's it.

Melora couldn't wait patiently till her sister would come for her again. So she and her friends went in search of Zchelea's house after school the next day, asking the people they saw on the way for the Furnings' house. An elderly woman helped them in reaching the house, leaving as quickly as she dropped them off. Melora didn't even got a chance to thank her.

Was Zchelea living alone? She wondered as she walked into the courtyard and climbed up to the veranda to knock on the door, while Leanora and Evelyn stayed behind, hope sparkling in their eyes. Her heart was pounding fast and she was breathing heavily—every inch of her was overwhelmed. She felt excited, hopeful, and happy, but also anxious.

She raised her hand to knock on the closed door, telling herself to relax and not be anxious. Taking several deep breaths, she knocked three times, lightly yet loud enough to be heard. She took a step back, holding her breath to see the door opening and her sister standing before her. But no one came out right away, so Melora told herself to wait a while. She turned to face her friends, who were watching her and peering at the door, with hope for their dear friend.

Melora returned her attention to the door, taking slow breaths as she waited for it to open. Half a minute passed but no one opened the door.

"Maybe she's not at home," Evelyn's voice made Melora turn around to her, making her hope—to see her sister at that moment itself—vanish quickly.

"She might be working somewhere... we won't know." Leanora shrugged with her arms crossed across her chest.

Melora frowned and let out a deep sigh. She just shrugged, not wanting to give up without knocking at least one more time. Though, she practically ended up knocked three more times, forcefully and loudly. She took another step back, praying the door would open this time.

And it did.

Melora heard the door unlocking and held her breath again. She took another step back, straightening herself. The door then flung open, revealing a small girl around twelve with red hair tied up in a loose bun. She had a phone in her palm and her hazel eyes focused on Melora, her thick eyebrows furrowing.

So Zchelea isn't living alone. She thought.

Melora composed herself from being taken—as she was expecting Zchelea, or to say someone older.

"Yes?" the girl questioned distastefully, her eyebrows raised.

"Is this... is this Zchelea's house?" Melora asked, straightening up herself again and gathering her words.