Care

Note: This one shot is a continuation from episode 26 of Yakeen ka safar, When Urooj Nissar's son is brought to Asfandyar's hospital in an emergency.

Present

Asfandyar strode out of the operation theatre almost robotically, with a grim face and walked passed her like she wasn't standing there at all. If it was another patients family, he would have spoken to them about the surgery, the patients condition and perhaps reassured them that everything was going to be okay, but that woman wasn't just a patients family. She was the one who brought a storm into their life, six years ago, she was the reason his Daniyal Bhai's image was tarnished in the society and he wasn't alive today.

Flashback:

Earlier that morning, when he first saw her at the hospital It took him a couple of seconds to recognise and register who she was. He was just in the middle of telling her that she can't meet with her son right now and that's when he heard the voice in his head say "Urooj Nissar". It took him a few more micro-seconds to confirm if she was who he suspected her to be.

He had seen a picture of her many years back, when he had gone to the police station to talk about Daniyal Bhai's supposed suicide. He had seen the picture only once, but it had registered in his head perfectly. How could it not have?

The moment he recognised her, he felt like all the energy he had inside his body was suctioned out in one go. He had to take support of the reception desk to stop himself from falling. He quickly retreated to his cabin, with his eyes wider than ever and tears falling out of them. Those few steps that he took from the reception to his office, felt like he had to run a 10K marathon. He was breaking down, for the first time in many years, as he somehow managed to drag himself to his chair and sit down. It's like one glimpse of that woman transported him back to the time when his brother had died. The wound that he had seemingly tended to, was as fresh as ever, again.

A few more seconds and he realised that he had to operate her son and save his life. He had to operate the son of the woman who ruined their life. How could he do that? He had to, he knew. A wave of anger consumed him. He picked up the paper-weight in front of him and thrashed it on the ground.

The walk from his cabin to the operation theatre was more of a battle between  Asfandyar, the doctor and Asfi, the younger brother. The Hippocratic oath was  chiming loudly in his ears loudly, by the time he had reached his destination. Only he knew how hard the battle was, but for the sake of his beloved brother, he knew his professional ethics had to win. From then on, he started to function on auto-pilot. His medical training had taken over.

Present

"Agar shukriya karna hi hai, to uss pak parvar digaar ka karein, ya phir, Dr. Asfandyar ka", Dr. Shahab's words fell faintly on Asfandyar's ears, as he made his way back to the cabin, without changing out of his scrubs. He walked into the room and almost fell onto the sofa with a thud and closed his eyes while resting his head on the cushioned headrest. While in the same position, he ran his hands over the leather fabric of the sofa while trying to focus on how it felt to his bare hands, then he slowly diverted his attention to the ticking of the wall clock and tried to pay attention to how it sounded to his ears, all of this, only to get out of auto-pilot mode and ground himself to reality.

Just when the grounding techniques had started working for him, he heard a knock on the door.

"Aajayein", he said while trying to hide the emotions in his voice and straightening himself up.

"Aapne mujhe pehchaan liya na? Uske baavajud bhi aapne mere bete ki jaan bacha li?," 

It was Urooj. Asfandyar had figured that out without even looking at her. He continued to look at his feet. He was disgusted by her and didn't even want to look up at her