Chapter 1

She collided with a metal locker, her back and head at the same time.

"You disgusting bitch! What do you actually think of yourself?"

Olivia lowered her head and hissed inaudibly. Her shoulders hurt from the strong impact; bruises would definitely appear there.

"Conceited cow!" Charlotte shouted again. Her hand shot up, whistling through the air, and hard slaps landed on Olivia's face. She tasted the metallic flavor of blood on her tongue.

"That's enough, Lottie," Pippa called out from the background.

Andrea and Gianna muttered something to each other. The foursome turned and left as if on command. Olivia was left alone; her knees buckled, and she fell to the floor. She gently touched the injured corner of her mouth with her fingers and hissed in pain. It didn't even last a month. She had hoped they would tolerate her for longer. On her index finger, she saw a red streak. The injured area would definitely swell, maybe even turn a bit blue. If she showed up at home like this...

The classroom door opened, and someone entered. She couldn't see the person since she was looking down, and her hair, disheveled from the fight, covered her view.

"What's going on here?"

Olivia finally looked up. Sharp, brown eyes pierced through her like arrows. She quickly ran her fingers through her hair, stood up, and straightened herself.

"Nothing."

He approached: "My office is next door. I heard the noise, and I'm not blind," he pointed to her wound. "Did you get into a fight?"

"I stumbled and hit the locker. Accidentally bit my lip," she mumbled.

"Of course... I only saw retreating backs, but if you tell me the names, I'll help you," he offered.

Olivia sarcastically chuckled: "Sure."

He remained silent for a moment. Then he sighed, went to fetch her bag, which was thrown in a corner, and ordered: "Come with me."

Since he confiscated her belongings, she didn't have much choice. Mr. Bates turned right twice in the corridor, and indeed, his office was right next door. He closed the door behind them and motioned for her to sit on a chair in front of his wide desk. Olivia surveyed the mess all around. Disorganized books on the shelves, a pile of papers on the desk, about ten pens, an open bag, an overflowing trash can, and... a box of pastries. Her mouth watered when she realized how hungry she was and how long it had been since she had eaten anything sweet or unhealthy.

"Have one."

With a surprised look, she glanced at the young teacher rummaging in a small refrigerator. He probably noticed her hungry gaze.

"Don't you want them?"

"I got them from a colleague who enjoys catching my attention, so... ah, go ahead and eat them all."

She smiled and eagerly reached for a narrow roll. It tasted like raspberries, lemons, and was full of whipped cream. Although she thoroughly enjoyed the diverse flavor, she couldn't help but frown with each opening of her mouth.

"Here," Professor Bates threw an ice pack onto the table.

It seemed like an improvisation because it didn't feel particularly solid, but Olivia was grateful for it as well. She finished the pastry, licked her fingers, and pressed the ice pack to the unfortunate spot with relief.

"You've only been in class for about three weeks. Why are you causing problems?"

If she could, she would have burned him to ashes with her gaze: "Believe it or not, I haven't."