Part 5

"Are you sure I can wear this?" I ask, looking into the large mirror.

"Yes, why wouldn't you be able to?" Loki asks from outside the door.

"It's so... Nice." I hesitate, turning around in the mirror.

It's soft, fits perfect, clean, and made of good material. Bjorn never, ever had me wear something like this. All I ever wore were hand me downs from past maids. Tinted brown, patches sewn into the apron to cover holes and rips, baggy, and worn-out thin material. Itchy and uncomfortable. Getting in the way due to the size. There was a number of times I'd be cleaning, and my sleeves would soak up the cleaning product, or even knock something over. I've broken a glass before. Bjorn was not happy, to say the least.

The shoes were just as clean and comfortable as the dress, simple black-heeled boots. Just about two inches high. I open the door and step out, feeling strange in these new garments.

"Are you more comfortable?" Loki asks, doing a quick scan.

I nod, lacing my fingers together in front of me.

"Good. I was informed your new bed and frame are in your room now." He says folding his hands behind his back, turning and walking.

"Will this be the only dress I have?" I ask, now wondering about the rest of my wardrobe.

"No, of course not. It's just for today. How poorly did Bjorn treat you?" Loki asks, frowning and looking back at me.

I don't answer. I merely look down.

"I'm sorry." He says. It's weird, a god apologizing to me.

His informalness always strikes me as odd. He is so formal, all the time, with everyone. The only person he's known to be informal and mistievious around is his brother, Thor. But, he talks to me as though he is not a god, and I am not a servant at his command.

"It's not your fault. Some people are just, not good people." I say. "I think most people are that way." I add.

"Do others treat you like he did?"

"Yes. And no." I say. I'm not sure entirely how to answer that.

"Yes and no?" He smirks, casting a glance at me. "That's hardly an answer."

"It's just, hard to explain. It's hard for me to even wrap my head around, sometimes."

"Well, then perhaps one day you can explain properly, but until then, I won't pressure."

I appreciate this more than he could ever know.

When we reach my new room, he opens the door for me, letting me go in first. I don't realize at first, but then I stop halfway through the doorway.

Inside the walls are no longer gray, instead they are a soft lilac, with a light gray accent wall where the window is. There's a new desk, which is white, and adorned with gold. The bedframe is the same, with drawers underneath. The bed sheets are lilac, like the walls, with daisys sewn into them, as well as little bees.

"Woah." Is all I manage to say. Even the floor boards are different. Instead of the creaky, splotchy, uneven dark brown, they're black and smooth.

"Do you like it?" Loki asks.

"Yeah it's... It's really pretty." I smile. On the dresser is a fresh vase of flowers, Lillie's, deep red roses, daylilies, and daisies.

"Good. I'll have someone bring up some clothes for you. I'll be in my room, tomorrow I'll have a list for you."

With that he gently closes the door and leaves. I smile to myself, collapsing onto the bed. It's not as hard as it was last time, and instead my body sinks into the soft foam. I've never had a bed so comfy in my life.